Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thank you for welcoming me to your forum. I'm just an old fart with a fused back and alot of time on my hand from Pa.. Love to cook grill and eat. Also collect alot of old cast iron cookware.I'm my own worst critic when it comes to cooking. I can make some pretty good dishes but am trying to learn more on proper method of sauces. My wife and I dine out a couple time a week and I come home and try to duplicate sauces. We put my son through culinary school and I learn quite a bit from him. Looking forward to picking some brains.

· Registered
273 Posts
Welcome.
Well, you have the five mother sauces....everything is derived from them or a derivative.

Except a beurre blanc....it's a form of a hot vinaigrette that is stable. Wine, shallots and lots of butter that gets emulsified with a hand blender and then used.

Escoffier is the book I'd use for looking up sauces with fancy names....but very very few do that anymore. However, the flavor blends and profiles are very much in action today....just without the fancy names.

Some believe that you need exotic ingredients to make a dish "gourmet" but in truth it's really just a matter of skill and mastery of the basic cooking techniques and knife skills.

Exotic garnishes are fine....but I'm the sort that let's the food speak for itself. Garnishes are not only edible but something you want to eat.

And if you feel like you are stealing a recipe....dont...we all are thieves in our own right and copy others all the time. We put our own spin on something but it's still "borrowing ".
At the same time there's only so many ways to make a cake....it's the frosting decorations that allows for your own take on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts