Chef Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was at the store and needed bread crumbs. I started to look at the ingredients listings and saw that every single brand available, flavored or plain, had high fructose corn syrup (which I try to avoid because it's so bad for you).

Now really, why in the world do you need high fructose corn syrup in bread crumbs of all things?!?

(Make something up just to entertain me...)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
It's The Mary Poppins Principal.

Americans are not capable of eating anything that isn't sweetened.

PS Where the **** is Harumph Nevada?

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Optional topping for fruit crisp, isn't there alot of basil combining with fruit these days....thus the Italian seasoned crumbs would fit in just fine....no additional sugar needed.

·
Super Moderator
7,186 Posts
My guess is the sugar aids in browning. The other thing might be that the sugars lower the water activity so the breadcrumbs stay "fresh" longer.

Kuan

·
Registered
579 Posts
At my house we're not all that fond of the "heels" on our loafs of bread. I always toss those into a ziploc freezer bag and when I need bread crumbs I take them out of the freezer, pop them into the toaster and then whirl them thru the food proccessor with appropriate seasonings.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
It's really one of those thing you should never buy.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pooh & Svadhisthana,
No, we really don't have stale bread in our house, it get's eaten. Believe me, I'd have used it if we had it. I'm a firm believer in all things made from scratch but I didn't have enough time to let the dough rise twice.

Iza,
When you're ravenous for fried okra and you need breadcrumbs, you need them! ;)

kuan,
A very logical argument.... I guess just adding sugar wouldn't achieve the same effect.
;)

[ June 21, 2001: Message edited by: cchiu ]

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
What you should use Japanese bread crumbs. They used only the crumb part of the bread and the crumbs are not as fine as what we find in our stores. And they are unflavoured and unseasoned.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Iza,

Aahhh yes. I prefer those on shrimp rather than okra, but might be worth a shot, but they don't have that at the store that's 5 minutes away....

·
Registered
701 Posts
People always have crackers I grind them into fine crumbs, ritzs, Keebler and so on. Sometimes left over croutons get ground up into crumbs. This year bought 6 bags king Hawaiian stuffing mix so made crumbs out of one bag. Do you like fine or thin and Do you drizzle some olive oil into the crumbs while grinding them?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I hope whatever you use is younger than this thread.

Post 16 of 18: 6/22/01

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.