Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
The person is what they make of themselves.

I've had people who can't make the same recipe the same way twice. I've had others who become proficient at making things but when it came time for independent thought about making food were lost like last years Easter egg.
Conversely I've seen amateurs go both ways in a setting from literally turning in circles to getting after it and getting it done well. And usually IF the amateur will accept a bit of guidance they can be every bit of the professional. (Accepting the guidance is usually their most difficult task)

I've been at it for decades...I'm still always trying to improve and do new things. Invent new recipes and flavor combinations. I also have had businesses to run and operate for profit...meaning that I have a narrow menu selection to choose from. So I don't get to try to sell everything. It's a stretch to try to sell pot roast in a bakery. Not that you cant....but it's a real stretch to pull it off.

· Registered
275 Posts
heres another difference, the last thanksgiving I worked we had 800 reservations.
100 pies, 60 cakes, 900 petite fours plus had to make another 600 on the fly.
Could they have done that at home, probably and I wish they did, it was brutal with no assistant.
I don't even want to remember all the holidays I worked instead of spending time with family and friends....
I love kitchen work...but I ALWAYS hated working holidays. It was always half of a skeleton crew that gets overloaded with work for the dining room....dishwashers don't show up, cooks don't show, and you end up working extra long and extra hard for the same pay...and you don't get to see your family or friends.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts