Chef Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
With caul fat, casing and various grinding machines and sausage stuffers.....or a knife and fork...how do you approach them????

Nick these aren't done much here anymore....who makes salamis? Who does ballantines? or galantines? And how often do they make them???? They've been out of vogue for awhile. I don't even know if they're taught on a regular basis in area cooking schools.

[This message has been edited by shroomgirl (edited 01-11-2001).]

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Hi Nick.Shu

A ballontine is simaler to a gallontine however,ballontines are served hot or cold and gallontines are always served cold in it's own jelly,A Darne is simply a fish steak cut on a bias, Crepinette are those wondeful little french pork sausages wrapped in caul fat. Salmis I make for my staff when I have leftover poultry or game birds cooked in a wine sauce, Supreme is simply a french cut chicken breast or the sauce is chicken velute with cream, As far approaching these foods I would be very very hungry

cc

·
Registered
357 Posts
Wow, this is pretty deep stuff. You know, our pastry chef is a women and I learn something new everyday. In fact, the owner is a women. I enjoy learning from anyone who is willing to teach me. Gelinetine isn't easy, but it's fun to make. I think the overall question should be "are you willing to learn?".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Forgive me, but I believe there was another famous chef (besides James Beard) who tried to make classic techniques, complex recipes, and gourmet cooking both accessible and comprehensible to the "average American housewife." Anybody remember Julia Child? Her television series? Mastering the Art of French Cooking?

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
HIYA KC yep we write about her often on this site....Julia and Alice Waters have been real inspirations to alot of us, and impetus for many of us to cook for a living...or teach. We haven't forgotten her just remembering James Beard....and times when a gallantine was picnic food in a Womens Magazine.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Sure! Julia put in a recipe in her Julia Child and Company called "Chicken Melon". It 's a sort of large ballotine, but it's the same principal: poultry skin farced with poultry meat and seasonings. I've never tried making it but I clearly remember the show and feel it's doable by most experienced home cooks.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.