Chef Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Give it a try! let us know how it works!
Butter milk should have no fat in it, it all went into the butter, my question would be the acid content.
hmmmmm..............

·
Registered
177 Posts
Commercial buttermilk is cultured from skim milk in order to obtain consistent results, much the same as yogurt. What you have is real buttermilk, the by-product of making butter.

I would imagine your buttermilk is very tart also, a result of the churning process.

------------------
Mike Bersell, CEC
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
"The Joy of Cooking" says that originally, buttermilk is what is left when making butter from cream. It then proceeds to give a modern day recipe for making buttermilk.

I am interested in the original. I just made butter the other day and saved the buttermilk. Can or should this be used as buttermilk in recipes? It is very thin.

·
Super Moderator
4,716 Posts
I believe that it still needs to be cultured. It probably doesn't have enough acid on its own. Try inocculating it with a little plain yogurt and allow it to sit for 24+ hours.

·
Registered
618 Posts
dont laugh, but i believe that the simplest way to determine the acidity is to use litmus paper.

Its the only way i know of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.