Chef Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was reading the different postings the other night, I noticed someone (sorry, I can't remember your name) had mentioned about the Germans wrapping hot dogs in tortillas with mustard and saurkraut, so it got me to thinking, I'm sure everyone has their own way for making hot dogs, my favorite is just a plain hot dog with cheese, ketchup and mustard. How do you like yours ?.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Ahh..
Nothing quite as wonderful as pigs' lips and ears. (and assorted other scraps and body parts)

I traditionally eat mine at Ikea's whenever I go, as I did last weekend.

I like mine with mustard and relish. It's just one of those things where the less natural it looks the better it tastes..
:)

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Gotta be a good kosher one with a good snap when you bite it... a bit of ketchup, a doodle of mustard, some sweet onion and dill relish on a poppyseed bun.

·
Super Moderator
4,716 Posts
Ketchup, mustard, lots of onions, and saurkraut!!!! Or with lots of onions and my homemade chili sauce (no beans!!!).

·
Registered
28 Posts
When my husband and I were dating we stopped at one of those sidewalk vendors for hot dogs. He ordered his plain - just the dog and the bun. I ordered mine with EVERYTHING (ketchup, mustard, relish, kraut). The vendor looked at us in amazement and said "How did you two get together?". We stil laugh at that story, it pretty much sumarizes our personalities!

·
Registered
105 Posts
YES CDS! Dodger Dogs are the best. Reminds me of Ron Cey scootin' around the bases, those were the days.

I usually eat them one of two ways (or one of each on hungry days). One with ketchup, mustard and onion. The other with ketchup, mayo and relish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I LOVE hot dogs (so much for your impression of a classy, older guy!

Grilled on the WEBBER - just to the point of charred...

OR

Simmered in Budweiser (about the only thing it's good for IMHO - I've got to use that case of 6 oz bottles someone left at a party last summer for something . . .

Then either hugely fresh potato rolls or an equally fresh kaiser.

Usually a brown mustard mix I usually doctor to taske - I like a little kick!

I thought ketsup was illegal??? :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I spent my early childhood in the midwest where they put ketchup on EVERYTHING (steak, eggs, anything but their cereal in the morning and maybe some do that too)! The only holdover for me is on the hot dog. I know several people who put hot sauce on everying though - some even carry it in their jacket pocket when they travel in case the food isn't good!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Coney Island chili dogs here in Galesburg. Spicy mustard, chili sauce, and chopped onion washed down with either root beer or strawberry soda. Life is good.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Dora,

What was the name of the hotdog place in providence in the late 70s and 80s? It was in a trailer and open to 2:00am..We used to go there to choe down after concerts at the Ocean State or civic center
cc

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
AWFUL lot of ketchup being used here!

This is against the law when constructing a Chicago Hot Dog, so be sure to stay out of town when doing it this way.

You need to have chopped onions and tomatoes, pickle spears, hot sport peppers, mustard, celery salt, all topped off with poison-green, fermented pickle relish for the politically-correct treat. Kraut is optional but not actually illegal. You must use a steamed bun, though.

The dog itself should be a Vienna all-beef Kosher, with natural skin for the big POP when you bite it.

I don't want to think about the pig ears- I concentrate on the sport peppers. :eek:

Mike

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
AWFUL lot of ketchup being used here!

This is against the law when constructing a Chicago Hot Dog, so be sure to stay out of town when doing it this way.

You need to have chopped onions and tomatoes, pickle spears, hot sport peppers, mustard, celery salt, all topped off with poison-green, fermented pickle relish for the politically-correct treat. Kraut is optional but not actually illegal. You must use a steamed bun, though.

The dog itself should be a Vienna all-beef Kosher, with natural skin for the big POP when you bite it.

I don't want to think about the pig ears- I concentrate on the sport peppers. :eek:

Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like the concept of Hot Dogs,but the meat I consider to be bottom of the line meat.I worked in a meat packing plant for several summers when I was persuing post secondary education.Is there a wiener that looks like real meat, and not ground up emulsion that is smoked?
If anybody cares to answer,and if I can politely ask,why do wieners and prepared sliced meats in general give you so much gas :eek:
Cheese in paticular and dairy in general can be quite flagulence producing foods :eek:
Any suggestions :) :p

[ February 26, 2001: Message edited by: bdwillms ]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.