Chef Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I‘m replicating a desert that has a layer of creme brûlée between two thin layers of biscuit sponge, then a mouse, then a fruit glaze. I’m not quite sure how to cook the crème brûlée, so that it unmolds as a usable disk. Best idea so far is to cook it in a silicone mold, freeze it, and assemble frozen. The creme brûlée disk would be 200mm in diameter and 20mm high.

I’m wondering if there is a way to do that without freezing it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Gonna try baking the custard on a regular 200mm pan in a water bath, backed and sided by buttered parchment, set in fridge 12-18 hrs, add 10mm biscuit on top, flip it, and hopefully it will release with a torch.

Any tips on releasing custards other than caramel?

Hmmm actually caramel sounds delicious. 😋

·
Registered
796 Posts
You can do the stovetop custard and try to maybe make it thicker, but what I've done is pour it into a hotel pan or flat pan and bake it super low (super low without a bath or slightly higher with a bath) until set tight, then chill and freeze, cut as desired. I served it as a freeform creme brulee.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ok....
My first question is WHY?
You can make a batch of extra rich pastry cream, use it instead, and get a similar effect without the added stress and labor.

Creme Brule is only good with the burnt sugar. Without that bittersweet crunch it's kinda yuck.

Pastry cream is Really versatile. Usually great in these situations. Instead of all milk or half &half use some heavy cream. Whisk in butter while it's hot to finish.
It will be plenty rich.

Not Really sure why you wanna go this route.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My first question is WHY?
I wanna go with the more subtle texture and flavor of the creme brulee. I'm using egg yolks, sugar, cream, a little bit of milk and flavorings -- no starch, no whites, no heat past 70C.

I'm trying to replicate Eric Bedoucha's "Masquis" cake. It's probably been over 10-12 years since I had it. They stopped making it long before their patisserie stores in NYC closed. So, I'm going more on "feelings and emanations" LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did special order it once or twice after it had been taken off the menu, but I have no idea why they removed it. It could have been that it was a production headache, or perhaps it simply was outsold by something else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts