Chef Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Just a precursor to "what's up" I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the direction of this forum. I would love get as many people interested in wine and food as possible. I would also like everyone to feel comfortable posting on this forum.What are your questions? maybe a particular wine to serve with your meal or visa versa.Best wine values,What to look for when tasting a wine etc.There was a very thoughtful post in the what's up thread about being helpful to all.
I belive that is the goal here...and do not want anyone to feel that their questions or insights would be looked at any other way then with respect
cc

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Not to worry about that...If ever there was a place to post a wine question, without feeling silly about it, here is the place. You have a lot to say about the subject, without being overbearing or pedantic.. We all have a lot to learn, so the respect issue is important.

My biggest problem with wines is remembering all the names of those I've liked. There are so many! Unless you ahve a memory like an elephant, I don't know how you can remember them all.

·
Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
In Dick's post regarding the wine show he attended, he referred to making notes about the different wines he tasted. Maybe if you bought a pocket-sized notepad it would help. Beer is so much easier; for the most part, there are at least no vintages to keep track of!

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a very good idea Greg.
I always have a little pocket note pad with me when I go to tastings
cc

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
I'd like a go at more generiac qualities of food and wine pairings....we tried this a while ago with an awful lot of variations instead of featuring one wine or one dish...
I'm going to a wine conference next weekend with a Simi vineyard speaker on food and wine pairings...I'll post after.
***yep I had to make a conscious effort last night after alot of wine consumption to right down the info to share.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shroomgirl, Do you mean to pick a particular Vineyard-Vintage and varietal? And then discuss it's nuisances and flavor etc as it apples to food...Or maybe picking a type of food and discuss what type of wine might suit that particular meal.We can have fun and post a list of Proteins,carbs,legumes,produce,fats and oils,herbs and spice etc.Then from there we create a menu and discuss what might be appropriate wine pairing...Is that kind of what you meant? or am I off base?
cc

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Your at shortstop....most know about food flavors, only a few are proficient in wines, most can relate to several grapes but are not quite in the vintage/vineyard knowledge yet....so maybe a dish and what wine would go with it and why...but break it down. I could tell you varietal but not the other stuff yet....that takes awhile and as far as I can tell alot of dedicated time......so maybe you guys can help fill in the blanks....interesting enough I had two wines that the varietals belied the wine, reisling in my mind is a summery lite fruity wine the Alsacian I had was full body and had more nuiance than lite fruity....the ice wine chenin blanc was like a sauterne, who'd have guessed chenin blanc is crisp lite and in my mind good for poaching seafood period. HMMMM where were we? oh yeah so what ya think?

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shroomgirl funny what you say about the Chenin Blanc tasting Like a Sauterne. The primary grape used is semillion, but sauvignon Blanc is usually used in the final blend (same family as Chenin)when the eiswein or "ice wine" is made the grapes are picked while frozen on the vine,and pressing them before they thaw. since most of the water in the grapes is frozen the pressed juice comes out very concentrated,very rich and high in sugar and acid...these wines when perfected are truly outstanding and the balance of sweet to acid is almost perfect.And just a note to the Alsatian Riesling you had, Many Vintners make dry wines with a higher level of alcohol and they are very perfumed and have a really nice ripe nose and palette. Darn...I'm sorry I started rambling again. I like the idea shroomgirl about keep it simple.I will post some ideas later
cc

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chefgup...

That's a great post,Thank you
I will try whenever possible to be a little more specific on the wines I mention.As far as producer,style availability Etc.
Hey heres one to ponder.
Nutmeg-scented sorrel salad with roasted shallots and Lotte (monkfish)Maybe a Sancerre Rouge?
I'll tell you why.The monkfish and the shallots should not be your focus.It should be the sourness of the sorrel and the vinaigrette,hence the sancerre which is made from Pinot Noir.The acid in the wine met the acid in the dish and would cancel each other out. Interesting huh?
And heres a funky one!
Vine-grilled ahi with bell pepper/corn relish with lime-tequila.
I generally won't serve a red with oily fish but the vine charring and the meaty taste and texture to ahi tuna really works well with reds.A cabernet or cab/merlot blend would work great.Monteray cabs are known for some herbal,green pepper notes.
I will post these recipes later when I have a little more time.
Chefgup, Is that kind of what your looking for? Let me know
cc

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shroomgirl...that is always a tough one,but there is a foil for that thorny thistle.
Try to find a super bone dry french champagne.piper Heidsieck brut sauvage comes to mind with no dosage (sweetening agent added)people are afraid to serve wine with chokes and rightly so because of a natural chemical something or other that makes everything you eat after the chock taste sweet.This will kill all those super cabs and bordeuoxs.Try to think of a wine with chocks to be something refreshing and not something to "marry" perfectly with the chocks.Funny a very dry champagne with no dosage might even taste a little better with the chocks.when you try this don't sip your champs like a sherry...take a good swig.
Shroom I think you might be surprised.
let me know what you think
cc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.