Chef Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made bread this morning and it looked great. i scored them and put them in the oven. when they came out, i felt like i didnt score it deep enough becasue when the oven spring set in, it just kinda filled out the score. i am not sure if this makes since. i will try to post a picture up soon of the bread.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
They look plenty slashed to me! What's it like to have all that space to work in? :)

I read in LaBrea that the angle of the slash controls the drama. A slash made perfectly perpendicular to the work surface will be less dramatic than one at a 45 degree angle.

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Speaking of scoring, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. For me, the trick is keeping the "skin" from forming while things are retarding. A little spritz of water a minute before I wield the blade seems to help as well. Frank & Ernest have gone back to work :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kyle, i am jelouis and impressed

i would give anything for a little kitchen... you give me your kitchen... i will give you one of the cia's kitchens. he he he

how is the book?

i just love the bread that is on the cover of crust and crumb.... i actually like the socring job of it.

i will have to try to spray bottle trick. just spray a little water on the bread after it has proofed and then score it?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kyle:

u feed your starters everyday? or do u feed them and put them back in the refer and then feed them prior to baking and leave them out?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I keep them in the fridge until a day or two before I want to use them. If they have been fed in the las 5 days or so I take them out the day before and feed them. If it's been longer, I take them out 2 days ahead and feed them both days.

I find a little spritz on proofed loaves helps soften any "skin" that may have developed. It keeps me from tearing and snagging when I score.

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Wow, I totally enjoyed looking at both Isaacs' and Kyles' websites....it's really great to see how much you two enjoy this field. I can tell you'll both be very successful given the amount of effort and enthusism you show here and at your own websites.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Congrats again to both KyleW and Isaac. I too enjoyed your websites...totally!

Kyle: It's going so fast, I really can see wonderful improvement in your loaves; and about the durum semolina, you would have known otherwise if you had ever made fresh pasta! Hee-hee, the tricks of the trade coming through.

Your sourdough mission was a great motivator for me and I have been a little more "daring" with my loaves. Thanks for all that motivation and inspiration.

And Isaac: It's amazing to see what can come out of a simple bag of flour, isn't it!

:rolleyes:

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Thanks Wendy!

Kimmie -
I knew better but A: Had the semolina & B: Couldn't find the durham. :) In the bread class at Peter Kump's we used both kinds of semolina and there was no comparison. I have durham semolina on the way from King Arthur's!

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Please keep us posted when you experiment with the durum.

:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.