Chef Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
A couple of years ago, I was hired at a well-known, well-established, well-thought-of place that had just moved from one location to another. The chef de cuisine was new, as were most of the other cooks. Some menu items were cooked in a wood-burning oven, some on cedar planks -- both completely new methods to me. When I interviewed, the chef asked me where I saw myself in the future. I said tournant, meaning a year or so from then, once I'd had a chance to learn all the stations and recipes. Oops. That's what I got. I lasted about 3 weeks. I felt the same way as you do -- just give me a little more time. The chef, on the other hand, felt that I should have hit the ground running. Unfair? Maybe. But it was his call, not mine; and he had meals to get out and a restaurant's reputation to keep up.

Getting fired does not mean you are a bad person, or stupid, or lacking in skills. It just means that someone over you didn't see you doing the job he wanted done -- whether or not he specifically told you what he wanted, and how. That chef was still learning his job as manager of his crew, just as you were trying to learn yours. He just had the power.

Read W. DeBord's thread "What would you have done?" on one of the Pastry boards. Some people just want to cook; some want to manage. Each of us is the only one who knows what's right for us. Go back on the line for now. And keep your eyes and ears open, so that you can learn more. EVERYTHING is a learning experience. Think about what you might want, make your choice, and work toward whatever goal you set. (When you get there, set another goal and keep going.) And remember that we're here for you.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.