Chef Forum banner

I Am Having Trouble To Decide What Is Right For Me

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  chef lenny 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am at a job in which it would pay for some of my tuition and I'm trying to do all kinds of plans at once, I'm such a great multi-tasker. Anyway there is a local culinary college with a great reputation and another one with the same reputation. However, I hear the best schools in the good ol' US of A is in Texas and I am considering that. However, I am quite confused as to which one to choose.

Also there is a degree with a license and I'm also curious is that license only valid in which the state is was granted or could you get a job anywhere?

I would love help in choosing and any other advice or reviews from a past experience is greatly appreciated.

#6 ·
I am looking for a degree and I guess it is going to be valid in all states
Assuming that it is an accredited school, yes. Also realize that you don't have to have any kind of degree or education to cook, prepare food or even be a chef. Many people learn by experience. Matter of fact a couple of years experience in the food service industry before deciding that you want to go to school can be a real eye opener.

#7 ·
I totally agree, experience goes a long way. I work with graduating culinary students every year during their externships and sometimes I wonder what they have been doing for the two years spent in school. So while I feel education is valuable, hands on experience is the only way to hone the skills needed to be successful in this industry.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone.

I'm glad you brought up the experience issue as I am struggling with this. Sorry I seem to be nothing but a bunch a questions /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif .

I just got my first job a few months ago and in March it will be my 6th. However, it is no a culinary job which means I still have no experience in the filed. I like my job and it is offering me a scholarship but I need the experience to and I'm not sure where I can go because to get a job you have to have previous so how am I supposed to get my start if no one will hire me because of my non-experience. I'm only experience at home. Any suggestions? Any advice?

BTW I decide on my college so now I'm picking off one issue at a time.

Thank you everyone for your help and insight. I want you all to know I appreciate it and this forum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.