Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some ideas for a salad [or other side] that would compliment Pooh's Avocado and Tequila soup. Need recipes before Friday so I can go shopping!

I could also use suggestions for a nice wine to go with. Nothing too expensive. :)

Just a reminder:

Cold Avocado-Tequila Soup

1/2 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
1 jalapeno pepper stemmed, seeded, and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup tequila
One 15-ounce can chicken broth, fat skimmed from top
2 ripe avocados (about 1 pound), peeled, pitted, and coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
4 lemon wedges (optional)
1 small tomato (optional), cut into 1/4-inch dice

1. Place the cilantro and jalapeno in a blender or the work bowl of a food processor. Process until finely chopped, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice as necessary.

2. Add the lemon juice, tequila, chicken broth, avocados and salt, and process until smooth. Refrigerate the soup until it is well chilled, about 1 hour. (It can be refrigerated up to 6 hours until ready to serve.)

3. Ladle the soup into 6 serving bowls and garnish each bowl with a lemon wedge and a tablespoon or two of chopped tomato, if desired. Serve immediately.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

[ July 02, 2001: Message edited by: nancya ]

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Pooh, I'd love your drunken chicken recipe. Don't rush though, I'm making the soup for the moon ceremony, which is kind of a pot luck and the soup will be the main course.

Cape Chef, how did you dress the jicama, apple and cucumber salad? I was thinking something a little sweet and a little spicy.

Plan on trying the flat bread also. Still searching for recipes on that.

Thank you guys so much for your help. I think the cold soup will work really well. Last time I made chicken and noodles which had pretty much congealed by the time we ate it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Why didn't I think Margaritas? It's perfect!

Thanks Kimmie and Pooh for the flat bread recipes. And the drunken chicken sounds awesome!

Gonna have to take my guests keys away.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dear Pooh,

Sweet success!!! My hosting of the moon ceremony will go down as the one with practically no left-overs. Everyone loved the drunken chicken - and it is my new favorite recipe which will likely get made for any event I need to take a covered dish to. I made one small modification and used bite-sized pieces of chicken to make the buffet easier. I actually cooked the chicken and sauce the night before and combined them tonight, and it was all I could do to not eat all the sauce while, uh, tasting it for the right level of vinegar. My taste is definetly on the lower end of the vinegar, but I might try adding a little more the next time I make it.

The soup was raved about also. It was a little richer than I expected with such simple ingredients. By the way, thanks for the tequila tip. I tried the Sauza which was head and shoulders above Cuervo.

Cape Chef - everyone also loved the jicama etc., salad. I decided to dress it with a vinagrette made with orange juice, bit of lemon, olive oil, garlic, minced jalapeno, and a dash of balsamic vinegar. Worked rather well.

Dishes are done....time for bed. Thank you so much for your help.

p.s., I cheated and bought tortillas, then forgot to serve them. :rolleyes:

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: nancya ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.