Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up in Hawaii where we don't eat pecan pie. In fact, I don't think I even heard of it until I was at least 17 or 18. But by then I hadn't been eating eggs for a couple years so pecan pie was out of the question anyway. Then when I was 20, my friend baked me an eggless pecan pie. It was the most amazing thing in the world. I ate a whole pie in one day and yes, I was sick. But it was soooo good.

I should have gotten the recipe from her, b/c later when I started working in pastry, I had to make pecan pies all the time and started craving them. But the egg content was too high and I didn't even know where to start to replace them. Now, seven years later after my first pecan pie, I finally found my egg replacer to make it happen (or at least I think it will make it happen) and I need a good recipe to try. The ones I made before were at Whole Foods so the recipe called for Sucanat and things like that. I don't want that; it's eggs I can't eat. I am ALL about sugar. I want a a real deal recipe from "Down South" or "Grandma's kitchen" without the frou frou. I keep finding recipes with other things thrown in for a modern version. I'm sure the added chocolate chips are just great, but I just want a *pecan* pie. I am also wondering about the pecan to gooey stuff ratio. Supposedly, an "authentic" pecan pie is almost all pecans with just enough of that gooey stuff to hold it together. That sounds pretty yummy and that sounds like what I had when my friend made it. I did notice that when I used to make them at Whole Foods, it was more goo than pecans. I know there has to be a pecan pie buff on this board, so please share your wisdom!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Isa and Marmalady! I just hate doing random searches on Google for recipes. You know, the ones anyone in the world could have posted who may have never even tried to make it. I even tried searching our forums for pecan pie, but for some reason, it wouldn't let me (?). Anyhow....

Isa, I think these will keep me plenty busy, but if I am searching for something more, I will definitely take you up on your offer for Martha's or Rose's recipes. :)

Thanks again to you both!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.