Chef Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
5,391 Posts
First off, why have they been through 4 chefs in a year?  Secondly, why did you take a job at a place with that kind of history?  I'd probably have stayed clear as that is a big red flag, in my eyes.

Without knowing more about where you are at, other restaurants in the area,  what your business volume is like, and it's comparison to what it was in the past, it's hard to comment on your issue.  Many chefs, especially younger ones, want to change up the entire menu right away.  Depending on the circumstances this can be a good thing or a bad thing.  Sometimes a place needs to "reinvent" itself, but at other times the worse thing that can happen is for a restaurant to change its menu when they have done the same thing for years and years and they are still drawing in a good crowd.

Both personally and as a chef, I love both restaurants that stay on top of the trends and change their menus with the times, but I also love going to places where I know that the menu has been the same for 20-30 years or more.  Steakhouses, crab shacks, old school, red sauce Italian places are often like that, as well as other places.

As the chef, and not the owner, it is your responsibility to make sure the owner's vision is achieved.  Sometimes that is coaxing them into changing, either a lot or a little, and sometimes that means restoring a place to its former glory through the food that made them successful in the first place.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.