Chef Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started at a place last week that is the oldest restaurant in the county and are well known for certain dishes. Well, people have been complaining, even before me, about dishes being "different than before". They've been through four chefs in a year or so and it's really working my nerves already. I suggested changing the ENTIRE menu. Isn't that what a new chef does anyway??? Has anyone else dealt with this?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't dealt with this personally, but know a lot of restaurants in my area where the 'menu carved in stone over generations' has eventually led to their demise, simply because their clientele became extinct. It doesn't matter how many chefs you throw at this, things will taste different than before and there is nothing you can do about it. Restaurants that don't reinvent themselves to some degree in order to cater for new generations of customers do not stand a cat in hell's chance to survive.

Cheers,
Recky

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried to tell them that the customers that have been coming there for a hundred years are going to be dying off soon and you have to put new asses in the seats. I put a new menu together, but had to keep 90% of the old menu. Its VERY frustrating!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I wouldn't mind so much if they even had recipes. Nobody can find them. We're not doing much volume, maybe $6000 a week. The owner said it's down from about $8,000. We're only open Wednesday thru Saturday, but numbers could be a lot better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.