Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A random question I thought someone in the universe may know the answer to...

At what percentage of fat do you switch over to using fat-soluble colorants vs water soluble colorants?
My thinking is there needs to be some percentage where the crossover happens and one becomes more favorable than the other but at what percentage is this?

For example cream here in Norway being 38% fat and 62% (ish) water, could you use either water soluble or fat soluble interchangeably because it has enough fat to disperse and enough water also to disperse so you can choose which one you want?
Or does it need a much higher fat content, like a cocoa butter or buttercream, for fat soluble to be used well with very little water content.

Thank you in advance to anyone who knows this percentage answer or can shed some light on it 💡

· Registered
342 Posts
A random question I thought someone in the universe may know the answer to...

At what percentage of fat do you switch over to using fat-soluble colorants vs water soluble colorants?
My thinking is there needs to be some percentage where the crossover happens and one becomes more favorable than the other but at what percentage is this?

For example cream here in Norway being 38% fat and 62% (ish) water, could you use either water soluble or fat soluble interchangeably because it has enough fat to disperse and enough water also to disperse so you can choose which one you want?
Or does it need a much higher fat content, like a cocoa butter or buttercream, for fat soluble to be used well with very little water content.

Thank you in advance to anyone who knows this percentage answer or can shed some light on it 💡
Commercial color isn't sold to the general public, most of the stuff I bought was alcohol based or powdered.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts