Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hi to all.

I'm a foodie from Baltimore. I tried starting a cooking group here without a lot of luck, but have since had fun with Slow Food. My most recent cook book is Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here for the Food," a great book for anyone interested in the how's and why's of cooking. My cooking goals for the summer are to perfect pie crusts and do more with barbequeing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mezzaluna

You're thinking of Vaccaro's. They've grown to have about five shops in the Baltimore/Washington area. Fortunately we live near the one in Little Italy, one of the few that has gellato.

One of our favorite summer treats is Strappino - Prosecco over lemon Italian Ice. (Don't everyone jump on my back if that's not the right name.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pardon if this shows up more than once - I had some logging in issues this morning.

The recipe I use is from Cooks Illustrated. It also shows up on their website at http://www.americastestkitchen.com/Recipe/338.htm. As you see, it uses both butter and shortening. My results so far have been quite flaky and buttery tasting - I've had far worse. My only experience that wasn't favorable was in making a lattice top - the places where the dough crossed came out a little underdone and gummy.

Where I don't believe Cooks Illustrated to be gospel, I've almost always had good results with their recipes, and appreciate their sharing of the thought and experience they've had in working with them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.