Chef Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Yikes, what a mess those pans are! I wouldn't bother putting any effort into them. The all can be replaced for about $50 or $70 at a local Smart&Final, or whatever your local "commercial" store is. You'd put a lot more effort int restoration than it is worth.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Might get that stuff off with a wire wheel mounted in a drill or bench grinder, but.....

I don't think it would be worth the effort...

·
Premium Member
9,945 Posts
They're so pitted that they'll never release right; they'll burn at the drop of a hat. There's just no value in them except for recycle.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Take them out to your garage. You've never got enough trays for stuff.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Well, I guess if the o.p. has a gas range at home, and is willing to put in the labour, andvprovided the pans aren't badly pitted, yeah sure, why not?

Thing is, those are alum-lum-lumnimmum pans. Cheap like borscht. They are already warped, so they won't sit flat on an electric or ceramic range,--useless as mammaries on a stud bull, unless you have a gas range, where it then behaves like a mini wok.

But don' stop there! The handles are riveted on, and guessy-guessy what the rivet material is? Yup alumynum. Baby-poo soft aluminum. Which means that the rivets will compress and deform their holes after a few weeks of shaking the handle, which means you have a loosey-goosey handle, and also a pan that leaks at the rivet line. Now, its one thing for the pan to dribble liquids all over the stove, making a nice mess to clean up, but when that pans starts dribbling smoking hot oil out of the rivet holes and down your wrist, well then.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.