Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm a "Home Cook" with no professional culinary experience.  If a good family life wasn't something I desired, I can totally picture myself in the restaurant business, however, all the horror stories about restaurant careers have kept me from going down that route, and left me in a weird place for several years where I've been trying to figure out what to do with my life, and I keep coming back to "Do what you like, do what you enjoy, what people tell you you're good at."    

Well I enjoy cooking, its the only thing I like besides music that makes sense for me to make a career out of, and people tell me I'm a good cook (I know I need to be a lot better.)

So I'm starting to brainstorm the other career possibilities in the culinary field.  I remember the guy that catered my wedding, and he seemed to love his job, and have more control over his schedule than I guess a restaurant chef would, plus, he's probably making a decent living considering how much we paid him.  

I'm not looking for the easy way out, I expect that it still takes a lot of work, but hopefully some of you can help answer these questions and let me know if theres anything I haven't considered yet... 

Is catering something to consider?  

Can catering by itself be a whole career?  

Is running a catering business more family friendly than cooking at a restaurant? 

Do I need a culinary education?  (if so, I think Id go to the Natural Gourmet in NY...) 

What else do I need to know?  

Thank you 

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.