Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a two-man line. We can take care of 35 covers in an hour and a half with minimal mistakes and in reasonable time. 25-35 is pretty normal from Wednesday thru Friday. It's NOT easy, but we fight through it.

Tomorrow we have a party of 60 AND regular walk-in service. My chef refuses to put a third body on the line. I, from an outsider's perspective, do not believe this to be reasonable. From an insider's perspective, this is utter [email protected]!^.

What say you?

RedBeerd

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will the chef spend all day preparing the buffet for the party of 60 or is the two man line doing it all a la carte?
I'm guessing the chef has reasons for thinking this is ok? Any idea what those reasons are?
My chef does not work the line. He comes in, makes sure the work's being done, criticizes something or someone then leaves. Twice a week, he arrives with groceries and has us go out and bring it in. When it's super-slow, he leaves the restaurant. When it's super-busy, he comes in to yell. For my first few months on the line, he would come to my station to help for a couple of minutes, tell me how terrible I was, then leave. I got a handle on the station now, so he doesn't step in any longer. The only time he gets on the line is to demonstrate a new recipe that he wants on the menu.

The guy in the station next to me and I do all our own prep.

He's tired of cooking. Been doing it for over 30 years.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
60 off the menu? That's crazy. Your line cannot be set up for that. The 60 will have to be told to be patient or pre order or use a limited menu.
It was limited menu items that we regularly serve, thank the Lawd! AND he had one of the cooks come in from his other location to work the line with us. That helped TONS!! I could not have gotten through that service without her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.