Chef Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,557 Posts
Okay made some garlic scape miso butter. Also has some black pepper, lemon zest, and juice. It's probably okay without acid in the freezer, but I am paranoid about botulism in anarobic conditions.

I like to have different compound butters on hand year round, but this being my busy bbq season I'll burn through the 3 pounds I made before the end of the month. It's great on seafood, but it's good on steak too. That little bit of acid cuts through fatty ribeye so good and the miso bumps umami through the roof. Doing a big seafood heavy graduation party this weekend.

Food Tableware Ingredient Staple food Recipe

Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Plastic wrap

Here's the butter in use on lobster and corn. Also grilled the cueball squash and charred some scapes. Those had chili oil and salt only. Lobster was $4.44 /lb up here! Hard shell, full of meat too. Got meat picked out for another dish and lobster stock in the freezer now.

I changed up my lobster grilling technique and it worked out great. I used to cut them in half and grill indirect until mostly done, then char hard. It worked okay but did dry out a bit. Now I leave the thing in tact to start other than a spike through the head. Cook it mostly through, steaming in its own shell. Cut in half, then apply the butter. Back on the grill both sides. Lobster meat is much juicier this way.
Food Corn Corn on the cob Tableware Sweet corn

· Registered
2,557 Posts
@millionsknives July 3rd, I couldn't score any real hard shells, surprised to get some that were not real soft.
I was surprised to get hard shells and on sale too. Usually when I split them this time of year it is easy. These needed the big cleaver.

I'll be smoking locally sourced woodchuck from the garden next.

· Registered
2,557 Posts
My contributions to a cookout. We have ginger and scallion in the garden. Baby bok choy from a local farm. Fish from my adventures on plum island and Portsmouth nh.

surf cast setup:
Pneumatic tool Handheld power drill Tool Hand tool Hammer drill

33" Big striped bass i had to cut it in half. Smaller black bass still a good size. Technically black bass is really a grouper but let's not argue ichthyology.. Ginger, scallion, soy, sesame oil. Hardwood lump wood fire 350F-375F. Pull just under 145F IT. Black bass out first 30ish min. probably around 40 for the striper.

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Fried fish

Plant Automotive tire Tire Houseplant Terrestrial plant

Char siu ribs. Ginger in the glaze w red bean curd and honey. Smoked 4 hours on Pit Barrel Cooker that ran way hot.
Food Condiment Ingredient Recipe Sauces

Food Automotive tire Recipe Cooking Roasting

Food Outdoor grill rack & topper Ingredient Recipe Kitchen appliance

Chilled bok choy salad with woodear mushroom. Chili oil, rice wine vinegar, sugar, dark soy. Pairs with char siu see?
Food Tableware Ingredient Garden salad Recipe

Watermelon keg with corn moonshine. Blended strained tapped.
Food Watermelon Plant Citrullus Fruit

Held everything in a cambro, did nothing but serve at the party.

· Registered
2,557 Posts
Yeah why not? Not everything comes pre cut on a foam tray in the market. I've seen some run under the deck. If they burrow under the foundation it is a bad time. They have to go.

In a bone in 3 oz leg

Calories: 132
Protein: 15 grams
Fat: 7 grams
Cholesterol: 45 milligrams
3% of your daily allowance of Iron, 10% of your Riboflavin, and 27% of your Thiamin.

It's 32% fat so that means it would take to smoke well.

· Registered
2,557 Posts
More CSA stuff. Sorry for the phone pictures. Between moving and BBQ season setting up studio lighting and a dslr werent possible.

First, what I strained out of the gazpacho, butter, fish sauce, and some IPA beer. Grilled (already braised) Octopus and pesto.

Charcoal Ash Automotive tire Food Recipe
Food Recipe Fines herbes Ingredient Leaf vegetable

Grilled onion and green bean salad. Walnuts and citrus balsamic vinaigrette.
Tableware Kitchen utensil Ingredient Plant Animal product
Food Dishware Ingredient Recipe Tableware

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.