Chef Forum banner

July 2018 Monthly Challenge

9K views 84 replies 21 participants last post by  koukouvagia 
#1 ·
July in my small part of the world means the garden is coming in. The farmers market is going at full speed. Tomatoes, beans, squash, greens, and all kinds of good stuff are out on the tables.. One Asian American farmer has fruits, vegetables, and herbs that are exotic to the area. This gives a small rural farmers market an international feel. As a site that has members all over the world some of you may have to think fresh harvest even if it is winter where you are. The challenge for July is:

Fresh Produce: fruits, vegetables, and fresh herbs

It can be a meal or a dish. What you grow, what you bought, or what you foraged. Fungi are included.

Morning Glory, hope you are feeling better and able to participate this month.

Have Fun,

Jimyra

#74 ·
I'm awfully late to the party but have a few simple offerings. This is Panzanella with Pickled Lemon and Rosemary:

Rosemary from my garden:

Plant Terrestrial plant Tree Grass Evergreen

Heritage tomatoes from the Isle of Wight:

Food Ingredient Natural foods Cuisine Staple food

Basil leaves from the window sill:

Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Leaf Terrestrial plant

I baked cubes of leftover sourdough with chopped rosemary and a drizzle of olive oil:

Liquid Natural material Tints and shades Rectangle Blade
Food Tableware Table Wood Ingredient
Food Ingredient Recipe Animal feed Staple food

Chopped half a rather large pickled lemon:

Liquid Drinkware Food storage containers Mason jar Ingredient
Food Ingredient Dishware Yellow Cuisine

And mixed it all together with olive oil and wine vinegar dressing. Let it stand for 15 mins to soften the croutons in the dressing.

Food Plant Fruit Plum tomato Tableware

#79 ·
The end of the month and no entries from me. Shucks.

Flower Food Plant Fruit Tree

Was planning on some cucumber soup and an eggplant dish, didn't get around to either. This white eggplant might be ready to harvest soon, though. And a couple of you posted pics of your rosemary plants, looking good! Much better than what is left of mine.

Plant Flower Leaf Botany Yellow

Oh well. Hopefully my work schedule will be conducive to getting something done ffor the August challenge.

mjb.

#80 ·
It’s August and the dog days of summer are here. Also I have to make a decision on the winner of the July Monthly Challenge. I believe this gets harder every time. We had 78 replies to the thread. Not every one was an entry but the discussions about how to deal with gardens and garden pests were fun and entertaining.

The entries were all wonderful and all deserve credit. We had more than eight members enter many with several entering more than one time. I could have placed all the entries on the wall closed my eyes and thrown a dart and whichever was hit could have won.

There were great looking and I’m sure tasting salads, Tomatoes used many ways, okra, eggplant, fruits, and of course zucchini. Some ingredients I am not familiar with but looking forward to trying. I even looked at another thread that had a peach pie that made my mouth water.

Now the winner is one who entered with several different ingredients. The next entry would often re purpose leftovers, or planed overs at my house. Compound butters, roasted gazpacho, a watermelon keg, and the varied use of cooking methods finally made up my mind. I was also influenced by the number of likes received. Congratulations on using everything in the fridge and presenting great dishes.

Millionknives is the July Monthly Challenge winner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.