Chef Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
July . . . plus, the 4th of July holiday and summer (at least here) . . . instill strong desires to throw things on a grill. (Plus, after the mentions of 'boiled' items during the June challenge, I started hankering for something off the barbie.)

Let's get fired up for steak, burgers, barbecued ribs, brisket, vegetables, grilled cheese sandwiches, kabobs, beer can chicken, fish and other seafood, and even salad. The world is our oyster . . . as long as it's grilled!

Grilling may include charcoal or gas grills, fire pits, or even grill pans. Anything goes, as long as it's grilled.

The Rules:
  • The challenge begins on the 1st. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
  • You may post multiple entries.
  • At least one component of the dish needs to be grilled.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
  • The winner's bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month's challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

·
Premium Member
9,951 Posts
I've got a brisket planned in a week or two.

I bought some whole chicken thinking I would spatchcock and season with garlic rosemary and balsamic and grill. But then I thought about the High Roast Chicken over potatoes and how good garlic rosemary and balsamic are on potatoes. I'll have to check if that will fit in my smoker, but it might be oven only.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Super hot portable stove..on the balcony?

Just ordered a 15,000 BTU old school / discontinued Gas One butane..unit - on the way (and ordered alternate propane attachments {non-CSA - via Ali express})

Gas One has a few 15K left.. Their new dual fuel units are kinda meh though

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm in a condo, no grills/bbq and definitely no firepits. are there options? I guess oven broil doesn't count?
The oven broil on your unit is killer, trust me!
Might need a range fan or industrial fans outward/toward your patio door/windows .
Careful with the single upper broil/fan setting.. (the single wiggly pic over the circular fan) ..don't walk away!
It gets hot wayy too fast ..esp with the preheat selection.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Super hot portable stove..on the balcony?

Just ordered a 15,000 BTU old school / discontinued Gas One butane..unit - on the way (and ordered alternate propane attachments {non-CSA - via Ali express})

Gas One has a few 15K left.. Their new dual fuel units are kinda meh though
I bet you're fired up!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Just a simple pork chop. Marinated in homemade nam prik pao (just a tad hotter than the original) and lime juice.

Fire going on hilbilly braai for heat. It was cold.
Indoor.
Yes, indoor. No chance of carbon monoxide poisoning at my place as it is almost like being outdoors
Wood Candle Flooring Floor House

Nice heat ;)
Fire Flame Fluid Heat Gas

Pork chop
Food Ingredient Recipe Charcoal Roasting

Fire Flame Fluid Heat Gas
Nice heat again (2 times, can't seem to delete this picture)

Side dish of potatoes
No veg, been eating fresh fruit and cherry tomatoes the whole day
Food Ingredient Recipe Deep frying Cuisine

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a simple pork chop. Marinated in homemade nam prik pao (just a tad hotter than the original) and lime juice.

Fire going on hilbilly braai for heat. It was cold.
Indoor.
Yes, indoor. No chance of carbon monoxide poisoning at my place as it is almost like being outdoors
View attachment 72377

Nice heat ;)
View attachment 72373
Pork chop
View attachment 72375
View attachment 72373 Nice heat again (2 times, can't seem to delete this picture)

Side dish of potatoes
No veg, been eating fresh fruit and cherry tomatoes the whole day
View attachment 72371
Nice, butzy! Looks tasty!

·
Registered
329 Posts
The oven broil on your unit is killer, trust me!
Might need a range fan or industrial fans outward/toward your patio door/windows .
Careful with the single upper broil/fan setting.. (the single wiggly pic over the circular fan) ..don't walk away!
It gets hot wayy too fast ..esp with the preheat selection.
Thanks for this - yes, my new range gets seriously hot, instantly. I have a grill pan I didn;t use before because it never got hot enough on my old stove. Don't think I'll have that problem now! I have a pretty good fan, good advice,
Serious eats had an article about using grill pans for grilling. Between that and a quick smoke in the oven (or pressure cooker - Kenji is so resourceful!), I'll take on this challenge!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Head off to one of the parks that have grills. That's something I have done a lot. Always choose the ones near the lake edge. Just in case a fish bites my line.Yes,
I thought about that - there are lots of parks with grills around here. They aren't the cleanest, but it's been raining a lot lately, soooo... great idea! thank you!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I harvested turmeric, so had to use some.
Went back to the garden to get a piece of galangal as well.
Unfortunately, my ginger isn't doing well, otherwise it could have been "3 tuber chicken" ;)

Ingredients (almost) all together
Food Tableware Rangpur Ingredient Recipe

Missing were garlic & makrut leaves. Lime was from.my neighbour, garlic from.the shop, rest from my garden

Time for pounding
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Cuisine
And the end result
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Dish

Was going to use my spit, but the motor went on strike, so decided on spatchcock chicken
Food Ingredient Recipe Roasting Chicken meat

I obviously used the paste I just made with fish sauce & lime juice added to it

Served with pickles and sourdough bread
Food Tableware Dishware Plate Ingredient

·
Premium Member
9,951 Posts
Grilled pork patty noodle bowl.

Combine ground pork, chopped green onion, ginger, lemongrass, sugar, salt fish sauce, pepper. Mix, make patties. grill.

Flower Plant Petal Food Cuisine

Some Mushrooms along for the ride too.

Food Ingredient Recipe Staple food Cooking

Fill a bowl as desired with rice noodles, lettuce, bean sprouts, cucumber, carrot, cilantro, basil, grilled items and season with nuoc cham. My patties are lurking in chunks at the bottom, but you can see the mushroom. Some of pork is peeking out at the top of the bowl it seems.

Food Tableware Plate Plant Kitchen utensil

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't have access to my Trusty Webber Kettle, or any other fire. Since I'm now somewhat physically impaired, I had to make my spareribs using slow, and low oven baking, with the broiler to assist. I used the same methods, and ingredients I would use on the Webber, except no charcoal of course. These ribs turned out savory, tender, smokey, and with a great bark. Here's how I made them.

Dry Rub:
3 tbs. coarse grind black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbs. smoked paprika
1 tbs. chili powder

Mop:
1 cup cherry juice

Glaze:
1 cup cherry juice. reduced to 1/2 cup glaze

Ribs:
1 rack st. Louis spare ribs

Preheat oven to 270' F.
Combine dry rub ingredients in a bowl. Remove silver skin, and meat flap from the back of the ribs. Generously sprinkle dry rub on the rib backs. Flip onto wire rack, over foil lined baking sheet pan. Generously sprinkle rub onto the meaty side. Place into the preheated oven, uncovered, and roast for 6 hours, spritzing with mop every 20 minutes.

While the ribs are roasting. make a batch of baked beans, with molasses, bacon, and pork cut from ribs. Add yellow mustard, and a touch of ketchup. Add just a touch of brown sugar. The calcium in the molasses firms the skins so that they don't burst while cooking the bens. I used great Northern Beans.

Reduce the cheery juice used for the glaze by half.

Make your favorite Cle slaw.

When the 6 hours have elapsed, encase the ribs in foil, along with 1/4 cup of cherry juice. Bake for 15 minutes. Open foil pack. Spread glaze over top of the ribs. Place 2 inches under the broiler, set at high for 5 minutes. Remove and let rest.

Heat fresh corn under the broiler.

Plate everything, and serve with your favorite beverage.
Food Corn kernels Corn Tableware Corn on the cob
Food Ingredient Cuisine Amber Cooking
Food Bean Ingredient Recipe Baked goods
Food Ingredient Roasting Cuisine Dish

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't have access to my Trusty Webber Kettle, or any other fire. Since I'm now somewhat physically impaired, I had to make my spareribs using slow, and low oven baking, with the broiler to assist. I used the same methods, and ingredients I would use on the Webber, except no charcoal of course. These ribs turned out savory, tender, smokey, and with a great bark.
Creative . . . and it looks great!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts