Chef Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
3 hours, temp on the probe says 111. Fat is rendering into the skillet pretty well. I'll probably take some out in a bit to cool down for safe handling at the wrapping stage. Bark seems to be coming along.
Food Ingredient Recipe Kitchen appliance Roasting

I just wrapped it at166.Would have liked a higher temp but I bought too big of a brisket. Fat was rendered enough though. I've bumped the pit up in temp some. Cooking slower than Traeger said.

Now we wait. This is the Traeger brand butcher paper I used for the wrap as I didn't want a 1000 ft roll. The brisket smells quite good. The Mad Scientist says to let it cool to 180 and then you can do the insulated rest in an oven, low oven or empty ice chest. Today's timing will probably just be 2 hours --too short according to the scientist-- but this is dinner tonight.

Arm Human body Textile Sleeve Font

The fuel burn wasn't bad for 10 hours. I suppose summer helped out there. It was full to the brim at the start.

t
Asphalt Road surface Plant Rectangle Gas

My bark isn't that good. It was cooking slow and I know more now about time and temps management. The shape is because the flat had a pretty skinny part that would have overcooked and dried out.
Brown Food Sleeve Ingredient Cuisine

A slice from the flat. Acceptable smoke ring. A little more fat render would be better. Fairly juicy. Not as juicy as the Scientist achieves. Much moister than any commercial brisket I've had. A longer rest would probably help there. I didn't think sauce would have improved it any so I ate it plain and liked it.

Food Ingredient Dish Recipe Cuisine

A slice from the point/flat combo area. Need more trimming on the fat on the right. Smoke ring not so visible. Better bark would improve this piece.

Food Ingredient Animal product Recipe Beef

I can like smoked brisket. But too much of it is just poorly done or held. I can do better than this I think too.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
There's still time for entries for the July 2022 challenge - Grill Thrills. Even though I'm not in the running, I wanted to share something I think is a bit off the beaten path when it comes to grilling . . . grilled salad.

The first time I heard about grilled salad I envisioned little pieces of iceberg lettuce falling through the grates. This is nothing like that . . . this is easy, quick, and scales up/down very easily. Plus, the grilling offers up a nice smokey flavor to the lettuce. If you haven't tried this, I strongly encourage you to give it try the next time your grill is fired up and ready.

Step 1 - Start with a romaine heart . . . one for every two people your serving
Plant Terrestrial plant Flowering plant Flower Herbaceous plant

Step 2 - Slice the romaine heart(s) in half down the length. Drizzle a bit olive oil and dust with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Terrestrial plant Plant Flowering plant Plant stem Perennial plant

Step 3 - Place cut-side down on a hot grill and cook for 30-to-60 seconds
Plant Green Insect Flower Terrestrial plant

Step 4 - Remove from the grill
Green Ingredient Food Terrestrial plant Flowering plant

Step 5 - Plate the grilled romaine heart and dress/garnish as desired . . . and eat!

Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Baked goods

I've done grilled salad like that a couple times.
Real tasty!
I should have thought of making a Thai or Vietnamese salad (with steak or chicken).

Anyway chicken
Food Recipe Ingredient Dish Cuisine

Food Ingredient Recipe Dish Cuisine

Eye Recipe Crab Food Cuisine

Okay, someone mentioned grill pans. I have one, use it a fair bit. Like when making salmon misoyaki.

The Players

Food Tableware Liquid Bottle Fish slice

A nice piece of wild caught sockeye salmon. Some sake, mirin and white miso paste.

The Process

First trim the salmon into some nice pieces.
Food Tableware Ingredient Fish slice Cosmetics

These pieces look better in person than in this picture.

Next, start on the sauce. Get a pan on medium high heat, get it nice and hot. Pour in some of the sake.

Kitchen utensil Food Kitchen appliance Recipe Kitchen stove

Flambe is always fun. Once the flames have died down, add in the mirin. Reduce a bit. Stir in the miso paste, and some grated ginger.

Ingredient Fluid Recipe Cuisine Dish

Now that's a nice sauce!

Meanwhile get the grill pan heating up, nice and hot. Sear the salmon filets.

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Animal product

Once seared on both sides, lower the heat, brush on the glaze, and let them cook a bit.

The Product

Oh yes, this is good!

Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Recipe

Plated up with some seaweed salad, some squid salad, and topped with another brush of the sauce. Good eating!

mjb.

And one more, rather simple dish. A grilled pork chop with an ear of sweet corn. Not very complicated, won't bother with my usual entry format, just a few pictures.

Food Tableware Ingredient Animal product Recipe

Chop was dry brined, sat uncovered in the fridge for about 20 hours.

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Dishware

The salt has been absorbed into the meat, it is dry to the touch. Let it sit out on the counter while the coals get hot. Meanwhile the unhusked corn has been soaking in some salt water for about an hour.

Food Ingredient Seafood Beak Cuisine

On the grill they go.

Looks done to me!

Food Ingredient Seafood Recipe Tableware

And they were indeed done.

Food Corn Sweet corn Corn on the cob Ingredient

Should have cut the chop so you could see the inside, nice and juicy! Poured some cajun butter over the corn, it was a very nice touch. A nice, simple, delicious meal!

mjb.

Discussion starter · #50 ·
The results are in!!!

With so many wonderful and mouthwatering entries, the decision was difficult . . . however, the winner is teamfat for a grilled version of a Cajun boil . . . it was creative and grilled a variety of items (teamfat’s Korean short ribs were a close second).

Thank you to everyone for participating. It was fun and inspiring!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.