Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Tips on keeping pesties out of your bird feeders and garden -

Keeping squirrels off the feeders that hang from poles in the ground; grease the pole!!! use Vaseline - it lasts through several rains - get a beer, sit on the porch and watch the fun!! The antics of the little critters as they slide down the greased pole is too much!!

And then there's mixing cayenne into your bird feed - lots of it! Birds don't have taste buds, so it doesn't bother them, but the squirrels hate it!

Keeping critters out of the garden; we live in deer central, so when we first tilled our garden we put up a six foot fence; the first year, we noted it kept the deer out, but smaller critters were climbing through the holes. Soooo we reinforced the fencing about three feet up with chicken wire; kept the small critters out, but one day surprised a ground hog CLIMBING over the six foot fence! They're so fat, I didn't know they could climb like that!!

Went to the local Agway (farmer's supply store), and of course the guy's first answer was 'get a shotgun and sit in the garden'. Well. Then he told me about 'predator urine'. Yep, I'm not kidding!!!! They sell different kinds for different pests - from fox peepee all the way up to cougar!!!!We got the coyote on the Agway guy's recommendation. Comes in a little bottle, with plasitc tubes with holes punched in them, and cotton balls. You squirt some of the - concentrate - on the cotton balls in the tubes, and place them strategically around the circumference of the garden. WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!!!! Our only concern is whether or not we'll get real coyotes investigating!!!:D

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Roon, re roaming country cats - I don't even think that's a good idea; there's lots of nasty critters who love to tangle with cats in them thar woods - like raccoons, and possom - who can inflict nasty, nasty damage to a cat. Also exposes the cat to diseases; also makes it much more likely your sweet little kitty will be bringing you 'prizes' he's caught! We've had indoor and outdoor kittys, and have settled on indoor kitties with access to a screened in porch whenever they want, and a little pot of kitty grass to munch on.

I totally agree with not declawing - even for indoor kitties!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Yeah, I guess you're right, Roon - I wasn't thinking about farm pets; a whole other category than what we have here in suburbia! I did have a good mouser when we lived way out in the country (in my hippie commune days!) - he was the one who wanted to bring me 'prizes', though! Imagine a whole houseful of vegetarian animal lovers waking up to dead mice in the kitchen!!

Re the 'human predator urine' - they've actually done studies on this - seems it doesn't work because the critters are used to our scent, as we're all over the garden anyway!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.