Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Dear PastaChef:

That was a great story!

I feed all these little creatures all winter so when summer comes they expect the same. I get upset when they damage my garden but I know that I would miss them if I found out one day thay they were no longer part of my garden. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
347 Posts
You are right PastaChef!

The only animal that I cannot stand in my garden is cats! I have nothing against cats as a species, but they wreak havoc in my garden and cause destruction as I will explain.

Cats kill all the wild animals and birds that make my garden their home. I read in a recent report that in the United Kingdom, which is much smaller than the US, 40,000,000 wild animals and birds fall prey to domesticated cats every year! I do not understand why people leave their cats free to roam in other people's gardens. I don't leave my pet Scottie in other people's gardens. Three months ago, my wife and I were watching our favorite chipmunk eat out of a special feeder that we had built for him/her. Suddenly, my neighbor's cat came stealthily from the brush, lunged at the chipmunk, grabbed it in its mouth and ended the little guy's life right in front of us while were standing aghast from inside the house looking out at this scene through a closed window. It took me weeks to get over the shock! I had not realized how much that little creature whom we had come to know for months had actually meant to me!

When I complained to my neighbor about it, she responded by asking me if I had paid any money for the chipmunk! I answered her by sharing with her my feelings for "all creatures, great and small" as the book title was selected by its author James Herriot in Britain. I have great affection and respect for all living things and I understand the laws of nature, except for destruction of a life when it will not serve to feed an animal, but instead will be used as a toy.

It is my one desire that domesticated cats be restrained within the realm of the residence of their loved ones who selected them. Those of us who are their neighbors have established our realm which may contain animal or vegetable life that is incompatible with these cats. Maybe, someday ... .

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thank you Pasta Chef for your warm and kind words! :)

Your cat sounds like a lot of fun OneSockChef! I would not mind having my feather duster eaten by a cat! I don't even mind the scratches on my car! The pleasure and affection with which these animals provide us is so much bigger than any of their little booboos! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.