Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Donna just came upon a knife her mother gave her over 20 years ago, wrapped in ancient paper towel and dieing elastic bands.  Her mother remembers the grandmother using it as a little girl, so has to be well over 80 years old, if not a 100.  A 9" slicer of forged carbon steel, super thin like a good Sabatier, bone handle and silver ferrule and butt cap. Great shape except some expected concavity.  Pictures to come.

Rick

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I'm feeling delinquent for not getting around to pictures this weekend.  I'll have to try for tonight.  It really does look like they did first class work all around back in the day.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes thanks I'm quite pleased with it.  This one is not for gifting or sale.

Interesting story behind it.  Donna's Grandfather was one of those you only read about, living a double life for years with a second wife and family, and just on the other side of town.  He eventually abandoned her mother and grandmother, leaving them quite destitute.  The knife was obviously a reminder of better times, and a wedding gift maybe.  They anyway certainly hung on to it, and used it, and kept it well preserved.

Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.