Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,557 Posts
Something about vintage carbon steels is very special.  Maybe because they hold a decent edge and yet you can steel them on a honing rod. 

I rehandled 3 forgecrafts last summer.  2 gifted, one sold.  Time for more estate sales hunting I guess

· Registered
2,557 Posts
One of them wouldn't hold an edge like at all pretty sure it was temperature abused on a grinder.   I removed a lot of metal thinning it and maybe half a millimeter of edge before it would actually take an edge.  Such are the risks buying old stuff.  

Ebay prices are crazy on vintage carbon now.   At least 2x from a year ago across the board.  Lamsons I'm seeing in the hundreds for the chefs knife.  The only way it is worth it as a project is if you get a thrift store find or estate sale.  Ebay sellers already did that work and they'r emaking money off it.   I actually like estate sales because I'm looking for enough different things it's worth my time to go-  straight razors, knives, fly fishing.  I'll always find something!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.