Chef Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
What kind of grease? I know my grandma (who still cooks over a wood fire outside btw) saves the bacon fat in a small container to be used again. I personally strain my oil into a dark bottle a put it away until I can't use it anymore. Then I throw away most of it and add a little to my fresh frying oil.

In BIM you would never mix the oil you use to fry chicken with the oil youd use for frying fish or vice versa.

Im interested to see all the other replies.

·
Premium Member
9,946 Posts
I save bacon grease. Use it for refried beans, spanish rice, corn bread and even mixed with olive oil for searing off a pot roast or roasting potatoes. While not ragingly healthy, small amounts add lots of flavor.

Phil

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just out of curiosity, do you dump the grease into the kitchen sink or dump it in the garbage, of course in a container or some sort so the grease doesn't seep through the bag.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Okay, I'll admit I'm highly anal retentive! As long as the stuff isn't burned, I will strain it (If necessary) and put it away in the fridge. I now have jars of:
- beef fat
- chicken fat
- lamb fat
- duck fat
- bacon grease
in addition to lard, clarified butter, and leftover oil from frying chicken.

Mostly, I move them around the fridge. ;) Sometimes I open them to see if they've gone moldy yet -- then, sigh, I dump them.

No, seriously, I might add a bit to the canola or olive oil, or use some on its own, to enhance the flavor of a side dish (like using a little lamb fat in the lentil pilaf to go with lamb chops, or chicken fat in the rice with a chicken dish). When I want to be really decadent, I'll use the duck fat to saute potatoes. Of course, bacon fat when I cook collards and such. And whenever I make "pastitsio" or "moussaka" I use beef fat to make the bechamel -- I just like the way it tastes.

As a flavor enhancer, I'd rather use a little fat than MSG anyday!

P.S.: Chloe: Never dump the grease down the drain!! It can clog and make your life miserable. Put it in a container in the trash. A hint: I chill or freeze it first, then put the block of fat into the trash can -- less likely to run all over that way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The only one I save is bacon grease. If I fry chicken, I plan to make cream gravy (milk gravy made with the left over fat)--same with pork chops, ham or steak. I don't deep fat fry. The place
I live does not have the luxury of a good exhaust system. The
only type of exhaust fan we can use is one with a filter and it exhausts back in the room so I do not deep fat fry, I do not do fish or use the type of spice that is highly oderous in a confined space. I nearly always get that type of dish when I go out to eat. (a previous thread asked about eating out, I will indulge in those foods when I go out that I can't do well in a home kitchen)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there

duck fat is lovely to cook with you can use it to confit duck,quial,and rabbit, it is also good for confit vegtales that you are serving with the duck.

roast beef fat i have one way to use it, yorkshire puddings taste much better this way then just using oil.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If you do run grease down the drain, never run it with hot water. It will stay liquid until it reaches a cold spot in the pipes and start to coagulate and clog, just like your arteries. Better to run it through with cold water so it goes down the pipes in pieces that won't collect.
Maybe the same can be done with your arteries. Hmm... Only eat foods high in cholesterol and saturated fats, cold... Not a bad thought. Mmmmm cold bacon and eggs!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.