Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See Martha Stewart's Pies and Tarts: Mile High Lemon Meringue Pie. I obtain great results with this one. I haven't done it for a long time but I think she uses corn starch as a thickener.

Just let me know if you want me to post this recipe.

Meanwhile, here's another one from Martha Stewart. It's very lemony and quite easy to do.

LEMON TART
Serves 10

Short Crust Dough (recipe follows)
3/4 cup crème fraîche
6 large eggs, plus 3 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon lemon zest, plus 2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 12 lemons)
1 vanilla bean, scraped
2 cups sugar, plus more for sprinkling
4 sheets or 1/4 ounce powdered gelatin, softened in water
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove short-crust dough from refrigerator. Remove parchment paper covering top, and invert onto a baking sheet. Press an 11-inch flan ring in center of short-crust dough to cut out a circle. Keeping flan ring on baking sheet, trim excess dough from outside of ring, and reserve for another use. Prick circle of dough several times with a fork. Chill until firm, about 20 minutes.

2. Remove dough-lined flan ring from refrigerator. Bake until light golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack before filling.

3. Combine crème fraîche, eggs, egg yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla bean, and sugar in a medium-size heat-proof bowl. Place over a pot of simmering water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens, about 20 minutes.

4. Remove from heat, and stir in softened gelatin sheets. Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve set over a medium-size bowl. Cover surface of mixture with plastic wrap to prevent skin from forming. Set mixture in an ice bath to cool to 100 degrees F.

5. Add butter, and using a handheld immersion blender, mix for 5 minutes. Pour into prebaked tart shell. Chill until mixture is firm, 2 to 3 hours.

6. Just before serving, sprinkle individual slices with a light, even layer of sugar. Caramelize the sugar to a golden brown, using a blowtorch or placing under a broiler.

P.S.: I make my own crème fraîche by adding two tablespoons of buttermilk or sour cream to two cups of heavy cream. Mix, and let sit at room temperature for six to eight hours. Cover, and refrigerate for at least twenty-four hours before serving.

and for a low-fat version, the ingredients are:

1/2 cup low fat yogurt
1/2 cup low fat sour cream
1/4 cup heavy sweet cream

SHORT CRUST DOUGH
Makes about 1 1/2 pounds

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups (2 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg yolk

In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix flour, sugar, and salt on medium-low speed to combine. Add butter, and continue mixing until coarse crumbs form. Add egg yolk; mix just until dough comes together. Roll dough out, about 1/8 inch thick, between two layers of parchment paper. Chill until firm, about 1 hour.

Both recipes will make you :) !!

:p

[ May 03, 2001: Message edited by: pooh ]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.