Chef Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,060 Posts
Masamoto CT I'm pretty sure is also fully non-stainless and should probably be off the list. Preferring Japanese style wa-handle takes almost everything else off the list too aside from the original handful of suggestions.

If you're really going to use this for chopping veg on a board then it seems like going thin spine+ thin knife will be the most helpful, comparing amongst your current choices

· Registered
1,060 Posts
If you're worried at all about not being able to wipe your blade off regularly during prep then go stainless. I would still suggest the FuRinKaZan Swedish Stainless Sujihiki or especially the Ashi Ginga Swedish Stainless since you like the handle style and you're wanting this for chopping and the Ginga should be thin

· Registered
1,060 Posts
Likely most impressions about these lines refer to the gyutos, so can't say definitively on the sujihikis and what to expect (I don't own a sujihiki).

Well, the Masamoto KS is monosteel White #2 which is more fine-grained and has good edge taking capabilities. But do you have a firm budget cutoff? Big difference from the original <$200 requested range. And if the KS's $263+7 for shipping is okay, then there's may be some other things worth looking at now and because carbon steel knives can now be taken into consideration

http://japanesechefsknife.com/SwedenSteelSeries.html#SwedenSteel if western handle is okay, the listed blade width on the 240mm is 4mm taller than what the KS lists, which is going to help for board work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.