Chef Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Depends on the dumpling. I use commercial skins if they're available. Or tofu skin if it's that kind of thing. I've made some wheat starch and dual skins as for crystal dumplings. Just depends.

It's a 13 inch steel steamer.  My bamboo  was 10 inches and 3 layers. On a 14 inch wok,10 inch is as big as the steamer should be.

Tortilla presses don't press thin enough. And not all doughs press well. Dumpling presses only make one shape and size.

I have no special techniques. I'm slow to do any of it  But there's a lot of good steamed food beyond dumplings. Dumplings is just something I've explored a bit.

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Depends on the dumpling. I use commercial skins if they're available. Or tofu skin if it's that kind of thing. I've made some wheat starch and dual skins as for crystal dumplings. Just depends.

It's a 13 inch steel steamer. My bamboo was 10 inches and 3 layers. On a 14 inch wok,10 inch is as big as the steamer should be.

Tortilla presses don't press thin enough. And not all doughs press well. Dumpling presses only make one shape and size.

I have no special techniques. I'm slow to do any of it But there's a lot of good steamed food beyond dumplings. Dumplings is just something I've explored a bit.
What do you mean by "commercial" skins, meaning the store bought ones?

Should the steel steam rack be bigger than the bamboo steamer? I would assume as that as long a rack holds the steamer up it should work.

Thanks for the info on the press, I actually just made a topic about this, guess I didn't need it.

What kind of rolling pin should I get? They recommend smaller dowel ones that are thin in diameter, so I found this one http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ate...ench-rolling-pin-august-thomsen/14420175.html

but it's a bit too long, so not sure if that matters though since they recommend 12", someone end recommend a smaller one of 4".....

Steamed food sounds interesting in general, I want to explore more for sure!

Thanks!

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I just read that you should soak the bamboo in water when you first get it?

Are there are steps that we should take to season or prepare the steamer for first time use?

Also, is there any specific temp/setting on our stoves we should be using with this, or should it be max temp/boiling water to steam?  Not sure if there is specific uses for more or less steam, I think of this due to the notion of "low and slow" when doing meat bbqing or smoking.

thanks all.

· Registered
26 Posts
LB ... there is a simple correlation between how long something lasts and how you take care of it. Cheap junk is just that ... cheap junk. I shake mine out, wipe it dry and stash it in the oven (no heat, it's just a good place). I have bought my steamers from a very nice Asian store. They were inexpensive @ $15. Every time I'm buying one the woman there tries to get me to buy the stainless steamer.

As for woks and petina ... I'm not arguing with anyone, I'm just explaining my experience. The petina in mine is just fine. I wash it with ordinary dish-soap and hot water using a green or blue sponge scrubbie. When I use it I get it hot for a few seconds and splash in some oil for a few seconds then wipe it out with brown roll paper towel. In less than a few minutes it's ready to go. The petina is none the less for the wear. After idiots have used it, scorching the bageebies out of stuff caked to the bottom ... I just scrape it out with a junky metal spatchula and then boil some dish-water in it for 10-or so minutes and it cleans right out. Again ... the petina is still there.

It takes more than 213*F / 101*C to melt plastic bags.
Whenever I've attempted to purchase bamboo steamers online, they always seem to have either loose fitting metal bands or tops.
Is that normal?

· Registered
2,843 Posts
My bamboo steamers have never had any metal parts. I’m sorry that I can’t answer your question.

Reactions: butzy
21 - 29 of 29 Posts