Chef Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made homemade sausage for years.I am running into a problem when using a sausage stuffer.I have made "bulk" sausage,and when I made sausage in the casings it was years ago with a butcher that I worked for.My problem is this:
when rinsing the casings(thoroughly under water as well as the inside of the casings) and proceding to prepare the sausage,when finished I get a slight distasteful odor,and taste.
Keep in mind the casings are washed very well!!
Is there a procedure? Do I use vinegar water?Can someone please help me? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
There are a few books you can check to find answers.

Bruce Aidells's Complete Sausage Book : Recipes from America's Premium Sausage Maker

Sausage by A. D. Livingston

Making Great Sausage : 30 Savory Links from Around the World Plus Dozens of Delicious Sausage Dishes by Chris Kobler, Evan Bracken

Home Sausage Making by Charles G. Reavis

·
Super Moderator
4,716 Posts
How old are your casings? How have they been stored? Though casings can last for quite some time packed in salt, I have found that they sometimes take on an "off" odor long before they go bad. I have also had a few casings, fresh, that smelled and tasted off. I wonder if it doesn't have to do with the butchering, sometimes. Maybe someone has allowed them to sit too long before being cleaned. Just some thoughts, as I am definately not an expert in the area.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Go visit the website ALLIEDKENCO.COM; it's a butchering and sausage making website and company. They sell lots of supplies and can probably answer your question.

·
Super Moderator
7,186 Posts
Are these fresh or salted casings? I think, depending on where you get them, the fresh ones are a little less consistent than the salted ones. Do yours still smell like chitlins? I have a few packages of salted ones in the fridge at home, I should go check and see. I didn't know they could go bad with that salt and all.

Kuan

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
I just remembered another company: THE SAUSAGE MAKER. They might be helpful with your problem.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I use salted casings which I soak in cold water. I than rinse them all the way through a couple of times with cold water. If you click here and scroll half way down the page, there's some pictures of my technique. I'm buying my casings from a local butcher supply so I know they are fresh, but they last a very long time covered with salt in a sealed bag.

·
Registered
129 Posts
What type of casings do you use? Are they beef, sheep or pig?
I have found that sheep and beef can have a really strong flavour that may be OK for a spicy salami, but ruin a fresh sausage.
I get mine from a local butcher who makes lots of sausages, and the first few times they were lovely, but the last casings I got were tough, skinny and tasted like ****. It was a pity that I had made delicate chicken sausages with them.
So, although i have no scientific evidence, I think pig casings are the way to go.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone for the advice! I use hog casings,and according to one of the websights that was suggested,rinsing the casings in warm water,thaen cool water with baking soda did the trick!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I just read that and i didn't know the scotish shower sollution.
I do something simpler and I do it in any case...
I just pass the cassings threw a piece of lemon. It removes any unpleasant smell from the cassings and your hands

I think that the smell of cassings depend on the food the animals eat and the conditions they are kept.
Since here we have butchers, I used to go to one that his providers kept the animals into bad enviroment, I mean that the animals didn't have the chance to move.
I was told that this plays a vital role whether the meat will have this heavy smell or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.