Chef Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mother has just told me that when I was born (I'm nearly thirty - but not quite!) her Mother gave her a bottle of sweet sherry and told her to drink a glass a day for medicinal purposes. She then re-supplied my Mother with more. Has anyone else ever heard of this, drinking a glass of sweet sherry to keep a lady in good health. Or was it just an excuse for Scottish ladies to drink?
Thank Goodness she wasn't recommended to have one at every nappy change!;)

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mother just told me today! She neglected to tell me how many bottles my Grandmother bought her and is considering starting the whole thing again. I await your e-mail with anticipation Athenaeus:)

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now a single malt a day sounds like a good idea. Melina and Athenaeus, are you talking about a cherry liqueur? I was talking about sherry, as in fortified wine from jerez in the south of Spain, it's somewhat similar to Port or Marsala, but isn't the same. . . But this cherry liqueur sounds even more medicinal, except i haven't got a balcony, or any sun, will that make it impossible to make?

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never doubted that you would know the difference, I was getting confues with all the dcoments on sherry and cherries. So your grandmother drank sweet sherry too?

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Afra, every European lady knows who healthy at least one strong drink a day is( at least that'a what I'm beginning to discover). If nothing else it makes your children and your family much more bareable!

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Afra,
there's a saying in Spanish 'no one is born knowing' (nadie nace sabiendo). I remember Cubans being disgusted with my ignorance of plantains. I'd never heard of them until I was 20!!
Here's some information on Sherry and other things in Jerez and Andalucia, you should be able to find it in places that sell good wine
http://www.sherry.org/envhp01.html
P.S. If you get it in Spanish then click on the Britsh flag

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm gladthat you do. You should also look up on google Port Wine, and Marsala Wine. All three are quite different from 'regular' wine and are worth learning about!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.