Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 14 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automation infiltrating food isn't a new concept, but I'm curious about this burger robot. I'll admit that I don't put much stock in technology like this, I prefer a human to prepare my food if I'm going to put on pants and go outside to get sustenance. That being said, I imagine this is working since it's already employed and in the process of being deployed across the chain and Flippy manages only part of the cooking process too. What are folks' thoughts?

https://qz.com/930460/your-next-fas...ippy-a-new-ai-robot-designed-to-flip-burgers/

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the FOH is more likely to happen sooner than later. You only need to tell a robot to smile once. The whole menu could be punched in on a iPad while the customer even sits at a table. When the order is complete they swipe the credit card then call your number when the order is ready. The thing I do like is, the robot doesn't take 10 smoke breaks during the shift.
That's a fascinating take. In my work I deal with so much of the "customer" experience. I have to manufacture into reality whatever romantic ideas our customers concoct. That being said, it actually makes a lot of sense, especially within dining that requires speed at high volume. I imagine folks would be charmed by a Siri-esque host. I guess that would just encourage me even more to save my pennies for "nicer" places.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder how flippy will deal with the myriad of "I want it this way...no that...could you this...etc." that will come his way, even when cooking something as seemingly simple as a hamburger. :~)
Exactly! And I'm no chef by any means, but there is some variability to cooking meat, even premade pucks, not to mention special requests. I can just imagine poor Flippy holding onto a puck repeating "Error Error Error", then again maybe he wouldn't be so different from humans [emoji]128579[/emoji]

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How is flippy any different from the "flame grilled" treadmill they have been using at Burger King for years?
He could be superior in some ways, like the production line of burgers.

I did a brief stint in McDonald's while I was in college, and like everything, the amount of care one puts into something can sometimes inform the product. We may have had premade pucks, but Damian worked it as much as he could (extra spices, hard searing, etc.). I suppose one can only expect so much from a fast food place, though places like Wendy's wouldn't be able to rely on "mistakes" for their chili.

1 - 4 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.