Chef Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We needed a 30 qt, and the owner insisted on dealing with one used food eqpt guy. When we went down to see the store there was a couple of beat up Taiwanese knock offs, a 60 qt, a Doyan, and a Hobart 30 qt. Owner wanted the Hobart, but one look at it told me it had been repainted, and I didn’t see any bowl or implements. Owner of course insists n the Hobart.

So it gets delivered, bowl is cracked round both handles, only the dough hook fits, the other two came from Taiwanese knock offs and wouldn’t fit, the hub cover and more importantly the fixing screw for attachments were missing. I point this out to the owner. He says he’ll take care of it. Hold on, I say, there’s more: Because of the mono- buttocked paint job, the eejit painted the bowl lift track with nice thick paint and the he bowl won’t move up or down. Because of the ( deleted) paint job, the emit removed all tags: Electrical, Model #, Serial #, and U.L. Listing. Motor ran fine, but 2 nd gear was shot. I tell him to get rid of it and not to deal with this eejit ever again

He does a deal with the same eejit and gets a 30 qt Globe. Mixer arrives and I groan loudly, and point out the F-antastic paint job, have a peek around back, and sure enough, no serial #, no model #, no electrical plate, and no U.L. Listing. Can’t plug it in because the plug isn’t a normal 110 v plug, one blade is horizontal instead of vertical, so I don’t know what power requirements it needs—Of course if the electrical plate was on the back like it is legally required to be, I could have found out immediately.

I’m trying to figure out buddyeejit here, I don’t have a criminal mind so I can’t figure out what advantages there are to removing all the tags— once is a coincidence, but twice is deliberate.
Told the owner there’ll be no banana bread, no focaccia, no mash pots, no meat balls, and no ground beef until he cleans up this mess, he already sold the crappy 20 qt and there’s no way a kitchenaide is gonna do any kind of volume

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's a 220/208 v plug if both are sideways. A 20 Amp 120 volt plug if only one is sideways.

Maybe pulling 15 amps @220V but might need as many as 30. (I doubt that many)

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only one is sideways. I have seen “ cheater” plugs that fit onto such a plug and convert it to a regular 110 v 15 a plug, but don’t know if I should do this. Mixer is a 30 qt, so it can’t be more than 2 hp , and the factory cable and plug sure don’t look 220 v.

It’ll take weeks for the owner to organize a genuine electrician to install a proper receptacle for this plug, will a cheater plug work or not? I know I have a 20 amp 110 receptacle available, but it only accepts the regular 120 v plugs

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
My only suggestion would be to take pictures and go to a nearby commercial electrical supply house if there is one or commercial repair shop. They should be able to help and have any thing you need.
Otherwise, I'm dumbfounded that A. the idiot would remove the labels for any reason and B. that anyone would be dumb enough to buy something like that without confirming that it works as it should before paying any money.
Good luck and God bless.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If the motor is wired for 220 volts and you only give it 120 volts nothing will happen....but don't try it for long. Like just a few seconds. You can burn it up.

However if its wired for 120 and you put 220 on it you will let out the magic smoke.

The problem is that I've seen all kinds of things improperly done by schmucks with half a brain. Looking inside the housing is one way and (especially with used equipment it's an absolute necessity) specs are the other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts