Chef Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for a simple chocolate coating for strawberries or other fruit? I saw one that required cocoa butter, but I'd rather use common ingredients. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I just temper some semi sweet chocolate.
Under the valitines thread I mentioned filling the berries with sweetned strawberry marsapone and then dipping them. I think stem berries would look the nicest
cc

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found some gorgeous California, long stemmed beauties in the store. $7.99 per dozen :( Almost too lovely to eat! Thanks for the tip, a simple solution. I just assume that anything to do with chocolate has to be complicated. So I melt it over barely simmering water and let it cool down a bit before dunking, right? Are the berries better off at room temp or chilled?

[ 02-15-2001: Message edited by: Mezzaluna ]

·
Registered
453 Posts
I temper bittersweet chocolate for raspberries, dried apricots, dried pineapple, candied orange peel and strawberries.

I also do "evening gown" strawberries...diagonal dunk in white chocolate, reverse the diagonal dunk in dark; add a strand of pearls...Most everybody enjoys seeing the "duo". I try to do these for all my guests celebrating a romantic occasion: honeymoon, anniversary, getaway, first time away from the kids...

I agree with momoreg that they are much better cold and crisp!

[ May 22, 2001: Message edited by: lynne ]

[ May 22, 2001: Message edited by: lynne ]

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also like them served cold, but I was really asking whether the berrie should be a room temperature before dipping, or if they can be chilled beforehand.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The chef I work for has a friend who is a surgeon.....so it is something along those lines, pretty thick needle for sure! yikes!, it will hold about two/three shots of alcohol. You would be suprised how much alcohol you can get in 5 strawberries!! I can find out the particulars on the "tool" if you would like, try and find out where the surgeon gets them too, I would think they are easy to get at medical supply places but who knows.
It is a really good dessert though, people just love them, not the most elaborate or exciting thing for sure, for some things simple is best I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.