Chef Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To me, real chocolate mousse contains 3 ingredients, choc, eggs and cream.
It can be difficult to execute, to the point that these days its impossible to find the basic recipe without some sort of extender or emulsifier, by the time the recipe is dumbed down to ensure success its a failure. End results are either sloppy pourable pudding or sickly sweet slop.
The real thing has a clean taste, no extra fat or confusing the palate with coffee when its supposed to be chocolate.

Heres the basic formula.
8 oz semi sweet chocolate
4 eggs
1 pint heavy cream.
nothing else.

· Registered
273 Posts
Don't misunderstand me as that is the basic formula. It is completely wonderful as it is.

But

I happen to like it kicked with coffee flavor...usually in the form of Kahlua. Just my bent on it.

And for beginners I would say that being competent in basic REAL chocolate mousse is a must. Do not try variations until this recipe above is mastered. There have been so many crimes committed in the name of chocolate mousse its to the point that people really have no idea what the real thing is anymore. And people do them because they have no skills or concept but claim they "know what they are doing" at the same time. Uggghhhh

Then depending upon the speed it sells I might add some unflavored gelatin for holding purposes...but it isn't necessary for anything inside of a couple days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts