Chef Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Chefs, I suddenly experienced that my Tiramisu creme gets bubbly. Lot's of air inside. My recipe is to heat the egg yolk with sugar up to 65 degrees. Then I beat them with a mixer until the creme is smooth. I than beat the egg whites with sugar until it is stiff. Fold everything up with my homemade mascarpone. The taste is great but after one day in the fridge iot looks very bubbly and you can see the air bubbles inside. How can I avoid this ? is it maybe a chemical reaction inside the cream ? Thanks in advance for your advice.

· Registered
277 Posts
I TRY to consume the tiramisu the same day/eve as it's made.
Next day..weeell.. the cookies don't do so well..etc., etc.
BTW: cheap/crappy ingredients=crappy tiramisu..same as cheesecake

GF's recipe;

Tiramisu
3 large egg yolks
3 Tbs sugar
½ C plus 5Tbs Marsala wine, divided
1 C mascarpone or Winnipeg cream cheese
½ C expresso or strong coffee, cooled
1 C + whipping cream
12 ladyfinger cookies

Make a zabaglione by whisking the egg yolks & sugar together until they become very white.
Add 5 Tbs of the Marsala, stir well & whisk over a bain-marie (double boiler) until thickened.
Mix together the mascarpone (cream cheese) & coffee. Whip the cream.
Dip the ladyfingers into the remaining marsala & arrange one half of them in the bottom of a glass serving dish. Cover with half the mascarpone mixture, then with half the zabaglione and add a thin layer of whipped cream (very gently & evenly). Repeat layering, finishing with dabs of whipped cream on top (or piped in a pattern). Refrigerate for at least 2 hrs. or MAYBE...up to a day before serving.
Keep refrigerated!!

· Registered
5,653 Posts
Yes, if there are air bubbles developing a day after it’s made, then it’s highly probable that there is some kind of gas being generated. The air trapped in the egg whites will slowly escape, but won’t generate enough “ umph “ to cause bubbles throughout the mix. I’m curious as to how your homemade mascarpone is made.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I TRY to consume the tiramisu the same day/eve as it's made.
Next day..weeell.. the cookies don't do so well..etc., etc.
BTW: cheap/crappy ingredients=crappy tiramisu..same as cheesecake

GF's recipe;

Tiramisu
3 large egg yolks
3 Tbs sugar
½ C plus 5Tbs Marsala wine, divided
1 C mascarpone or Winnipeg cream cheese
½ C expresso or strong coffee, cooled
1 C + whipping cream
12 ladyfinger cookies

Make a zabaglione by whisking the egg yolks & sugar together until they become very white.
Add 5 Tbs of the Marsala, stir well & whisk over a bain-marie (double boiler) until thickened.
Mix together the mascarpone (cream cheese) & coffee. Whip the cream.
Dip the ladyfingers into the remaining marsala & arrange one half of them in the bottom of a glass serving dish. Cover with half the mascarpone mixture, then with half the zabaglione and add a thin layer of whipped cream (very gently & evenly). Repeat layering, finishing with dabs of whipped cream on top (or piped in a pattern). Refrigerate for at least 2 hrs. or MAYBE...up to a day before serving.
Keep refrigerated!!
Thanks for your recipe but I don't like to use cream. I am following the original recipe without cream. Just mascarpone and eggs. My ingredients are not cheap or crappy. Using original Savoiardi and make the Zabaglione as you described. I am just not adding coffee to mascarpone. I dip the ladyfingers in a mix of cold brew coffee and rum.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, if there are air bubbles developing a day after it's made, then it's highly probable that there is some kind of gas being generated. The air trapped in the egg whites will slowly escape, but won't generate enough " umph " to cause bubbles throughout the mix. I'm curious as to how your homemade mascarpone is made.
The mascarpone is made with cream. Heated up until simmering and add lime juice. When it becomes thick and let it cool down, add some vanilla flavor and keep it in a cloth and sieve overnight in the fridge.

· Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for your advice, guys. I totally agree with you. Tiramisu is an expensive dessert, and it should consist of good expensive ingredients. It should always be eaten on the same day it was made. Actually, I like making desserts, especially when they don’t require baking. Sometimes, I’m too lazy for it, and I just buy tiramisu cups. Actually, my wife likes them, but she still likes my tiramisu creme more. Anyway, thanks a lot for your advice. Now my creme will become even better!!! Best wishes to your creme, guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts