Chef Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Super Moderator
8,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got these two courses as part of a standard multi course meal.

1)  Duck breast, grits, Duck demiglace, (some other garnishes)

2)  Lamb Wellington, Asparagus, (some other garnish)

I don't want to do a demiglace/glace type sauce with the lamb because, well, it would be two of the same kind of sauce.  Any thoughts?

· Registered
926 Posts
My ideal romesco's a bit thick, flavoured with red pepper, almonds, olive oil and some herbs, thickened with bread.  I think a hollandaise-based sauce or a pistou/pesto or something a bit thinner like a chimichurri-like sauce would work well too.

· Super Moderator
8,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'll use a golden or brick color gastrique to finish the plate too depending.  So colors can be adjusted.  I do like the Romesco-pesto-hollandaise idea however.

· Registered
113 Posts
Hollandaise was my thought as well, but I would have added mustard.

The mustard is already in the Wellington, so do a play in that direction, as well as being a flavour easily paired with asparagus.

The fat of the emulsionsauce is also needed in my opinion, as well as the texture.

Edit:

Herbs as well to go with the lamb..

If you go for the salsa romesco, try it out with some leek / scallions in the style of the catalan Calcots. Could be a good idea for garnish, but the calcots with romesco is a dish on its own.

· Premium Member
5,391 Posts
Kuan, I wrote an article on Romesco sauce for chef talk.
[article="28563"]Romesco Sauce Making Bell Peppers Shine [/article]
I don't know that I would use Romesco for this application. I think any of the many, many variations on Hollandaise would be a good fit as would a variation on Chimmichurri.

Capechef, glad you mentioned Paloise Sauce. I was thinking a Bearnaise made with mint but I couldn't, for the life of me, remember the name of that variation!

· Registered
3,462 Posts
I got these two courses as part of a standard multi course meal.

1) Duck breast, grits, Duck demiglace, (some other garnishes)

2) Lamb Wellington, Asparagus, (some other garnish)

I don't want to do a demiglace/glace type sauce with the lamb because, well, it would be two of the same kind of sauce. Any thoughts?
Would it be possible to change the duck sauce to a fruited one?

Then a Bordelaise would be fine with the Wellington, or perhaps a mushroom ragout.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.