Chef Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
I'm a home cook and I make meatballs and freeze them.
my recipe goes like this: mix 1 cup breadcrumbs, 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, 1 egg, 1 lb frozen chopped spinach, 3 lb ground meats, garlic powder and other spices.
Mix it, roll into balls and bake it at 400F , let it cool and freeze it for few weeks.

I want to add several ingredients such as fresh chopped parsley, chopped onions fried in olive oil, chopped garlic fried in olive oil.

Questions: Can I add those ingredients to the mixture if I want to freeze the baked meatballs, i was told not to add garlic and in general fried foods are not great when you defrost them?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I make meatballs in mushroom gravy quite often. Freezes well in an airtight container. Garlic in them is fine to freeze too. I freeze in Food Saver bags then reheat in a pan of simmering water. Tastes like fresh!

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
This may be meatball heresy to some, but we make ours into cubes. Super easy to bake, and when used for subs they stay on the roll better.
I love this idea, meatcubes! Also they probably brown better too. It sounds ridiculously difficult to shape them into cubes though, how do you do it? I want to freak out my husband next time I make meatballs lol.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Why were you told not to add garlic?

I freeze meatballs too but I freeze them raw. I just like cooking them fresh. They freeze really well and are super easy to pop into the oven.
I have had unfortunate experiences with raw meatballs freezing and thawing.
I find that I must cook the onion and garlic, allow it to cool and than add it to the raw meat mixture.
When I did not, the meat had soured when thawed.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
I have had unfortunate experiences with raw meatballs freezing and thawing.
I find that I must cook the onion and garlic, allow it to cool and than add it to the raw meat mixture.
When I did not, the meat had soured when thawed.
What kind of onion do you use? When making most meatballs I use scallion and never had a problem. I only cook the onion when I make Swedish meatballs.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Hmmm, I make Meatballs in large batches, as you do Alex, using 3 pounds of meat:1 Ground Beef, 1 Ground Veal and 1 Sweet Italian Sausage, along with 1 C. Breadcrumbs, 2-4 Tbsp. Milk, just enough to moisten the breadcrumbs, 2-4 cloves of Garlic, minced, ¼ C. Parmesan Cheese, grated, 2-4 Tbsp. fresh Flat Leaf or Italian Parsley, chopped, 1 Egg, beaten, 1 Tbsp. each, dried Oregano and Basil Salt & Pepper to taste.
Food Recipe Ingredient Cake Cuisine

I use a small disher, place everybody on a sheet pan, pop that into the deep freeze until rock solid.
Bag in a zip-top freezer bag and retrieve as needed.
When we're ready to have Rigs & Meatballs, I defrost the required number of said meatballs on a
quarter sheet pan lined with tin foil, and bake at 350⁰ for about 20-30 minutes (internal temp of
165⁰) and add to a saucepan of simmering red sauce for a bit... Mangiamo!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I freeze meatballs as well yet I freeze them crude. I actually like cooking them new. They freeze truly well and are really simple to fly into the spaghetti sauce.
besides, your idea is good too, and i think that u could add the ingredients u want unless every thing is going to be freezed well !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.