Chef Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own 3 what I consider insanely expensive Japanese knives each from different makers that I purchased from a few years ago from chefknivestogo.com. I absolutely love them, but I do not use them daily. For everyday knives I've used Vitorinox Forschner Fibrox 'for years. When I bought them years ago they were the best knives I've ever used, but after so many years I've grown sick of them. I  suspect the quality of the Japanese blades has probably spoiled me on the Forschners. The reason I kept them for so long is my ham fisted son he has not be allowed to use my good knives.

I've been considering both Shun Classics and Globals. I don't want to spend more than $300 on 3 knives a Chef, Utility, and pairing. I've made do with those three for years and the Japanese versions of the same. 

I have a gift card and some points I want to use to get whatever I choose at William Sonoma. I've also been wondering about German and other Euro brands.

Suggestions and comments will be appreciated

· Registered
360 Posts
because of their value, keep the good knives put up for only you to use.  for 'guest chefs', get Old Hickory in the size and shape needed.  they are easy to sharpen shaving sharp  and very durable.  

· Registered
1,060 Posts
If you don't plan on selling your good knives, I don't know if the value/expense rationale holds up. Also, not really seeing 'sleeper' good deals at WS...looks like rather predictable stock. You've listed maybe the top competitors, but I'd imagine the chef knife profile of the Shun Classic knife would be quite different compared to your nice knives you've gotten used to using.

Scott - does Old Hickory make stainless knives?

· Registered
360 Posts
no, the Old Hickory are plain Jane 1095 high carbon steel.  easy to make razor sharp.  if abused, the blade will bend before it chips.  perfect for ham handed 'guest' kitchen helpers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.