Chef Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moderdators...please if this is in the wrong forum could you move it and let me know of my mistake.... thanks!

You all know that I moved from production into a QA/QC role in our plant and I have been doing what my boss says is a fantastic job. I have good relationships with the staff and they are comfortable to bring food safety concerns to me and I am respectful with them and I investigate their concerns and report back to them what I have found.

My former bosses have been struggling at times with me in my new role. They used to be able to tell me what to do and how to run my day and now.... I tell them. It has been an adjustment for them and they are finally figuring out that yes while for the last 9 of the 11 years I have worked at the plant I answered to them and now I am above them and it was difficult for them to adjust to.
This morning I got mad... I have TOLD the staff ad nauseum to take their (insert all of the swear words here) used sanitation tools... buckets brushes etc.... to the dishpit for cleaning at the end of the day and usually I will find one or two that was missed... today It was FIVE buckets and I was so frustrated. What do I need to do...stand there with a whacking stick like the principal did when I was in elementary school??? And to top it all off I found a table squeegee just left on a table in the packaging room. I gave the plant managers an earful this morning. It takes alot to get me to that point when I lose it and well... I lost it today.
I was professional about my anger... I said to the plant manager "can we please remind the staff to take the sanitation buckets to the dishpit to be washed at the end of every shift as today I removed all 5 buckets and I found a table squeegee left on a table"
He tried to defend them and I said that it was obvious to me that those buckets and tools were used (they had cleaning solution in all of them!!) so the staff needs to be more mindful.

We had our first in person food safety meeting since Covid and that gave me two hours of extra work... good thing we are at the end of the month and all of my tasks are completed. The plant manager was NOT pleased when we talked about the GMP infractions and my pre-op swab failures and I told them how to fix the failures. I am sure they will listen to me for now but then they will slip back into their old ways. It is on me to make sure they keep with the new procedures.

How do you guys suggest I retrain them over the above issues? I have some ideas but I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks for listening and any and all help you may have....

and again to the moderators... if this is in the wrong list please relocate it...

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
My first thought is to rely on anything you can find that is in writing from an official source- health department, OSHA, Agriculture and Market Dept. if you have one, any agency that inspects your work place. Provide some employee training and review of these publications. It should quickly become clear that you aren't making it up, just making sure the rules are followed. After you repeat yourself a couple of times to a couple of different people, the idea gets around that you are not kidding. There may be those who refuse to get on board but those who do will enforce the rules for you if for nothing other than self preservation. A couple of knuckleheads will quit. You may have to discipline someone. Be patient but persistent and it will happen.
My current boss and workplace has taught me that it is not necessary to raise my voice when managing. I think of it like this: How loud does someone have to speak when telling you your house is on fire? Eventually everyone gets it that when you speak, they should listen.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Keep up with the write ups. Document everything. Make sure you have witnesses.
I inherited a lazy kitchen crew when I took over a college food service. Had to let one gal go after 26 years of getting away with crap. Three write ups, a verbal, a three-day suspension, then out the door. Union could not do anything because I followed procedure to the T.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Moderdators...please if this is in the wrong forum could you move it and let me know of my mistake.... thanks!

You all know that I moved from production into a QA/QC role in our plant and I have been doing what my boss says is a fantastic job. I have good relationships with the staff and they are comfortable to bring food safety concerns to me and I am respectful with them and I investigate their concerns and report back to them what I have found.

My former bosses have been struggling at times with me in my new role. They used to be able to tell me what to do and how to run my day and now.... I tell them. It has been an adjustment for them and they are finally figuring out that yes while for the last 9 of the 11 years I have worked at the plant I answered to them and now I am above them and it was difficult for them to adjust to.
This morning I got mad... I have TOLD the staff ad nauseum to take their (insert all of the swear words here) used sanitation tools... buckets brushes etc.... to the dishpit for cleaning at the end of the day and usually I will find one or two that was missed... today It was FIVE buckets and I was so frustrated. What do I need to do...stand there with a whacking stick like the principal did when I was in elementary school??? And to top it all off I found a table squeegee just left on a table in the packaging room. I gave the plant managers an earful this morning. It takes alot to get me to that point when I lose it and well... I lost it today.
I was professional about my anger... I said to the plant manager "can we please remind the staff to take the sanitation buckets to the dishpit to be washed at the end of every shift as today I removed all 5 buckets and I found a table squeegee left on a table"
He tried to defend them and I said that it was obvious to me that those buckets and tools were used (they had cleaning solution in all of them!!) so the staff needs to be more mindful.

We had our first in person food safety meeting since Covid and that gave me two hours of extra work... good thing we are at the end of the month and all of my tasks are completed. The plant manager was NOT pleased when we talked about the GMP infractions and my pre-op swab failures and I told them how to fix the failures. I am sure they will listen to me for now but then they will slip back into their old ways. It is on me to make sure they keep with the new procedures.

How do you guys suggest I retrain them over the above issues? I have some ideas but I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks for listening and any and all help you may have....

and again to the moderators... if this is in the wrong list please relocate it...
It's about motivation. And taking their failures to comply personally is not going to work out well for you or them.

Look, there's literally tons of jobs out there right now...and anybody can quit almost any day of the week and be employed the next....maybe even before the weekend.

Management is leadership...not bossing people about. Sure you have some authority just like your former bosses did over you but that doesn't mean that you have to use it like they did to you.

Leadership is leading by getting others to follow your lead. Not dragging them kicking and screaming to where you want them to go.

It's harder work between your ears than with your back.
Carrots and sticks....carrots are positive motivators and sticks are the negative consequences. It's not always financial. Lots of strategies can be used. Training on best practices with training retention testing afterwards....competitions work somewhat but need strict controls. Gold star awards....all kinds of things that don't require a lot of resources but can be effective.

If you take an adversarial role....that's what these people become...adversaries. that's gonna make your job that much harder.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
It's about motivation…Carrots and sticks....carrots are positive motivators and sticks are the negative consequences.
While I am a big believer in carrots...sticks are also needed though, you just need to put the ball in the employees camp as to whether they get a carrot or the stick.

When I opened my restaurant, I hated written policy and so had none, but I was an naive optimist. I was the recipient of employees wielding sticks numerous times before I learned my lesson. Put everything in writing.

Have a clearly written plan of cause and effect. If you do this (or don't do this), the result will be a carrot. Spell out in no uncertain terms what exactly the carrot will be. If you do this (or don't do this), the result will be a stick. Spell out in no uncertain terms what exactly the stick will be. If you accumulate x number of sticks, then this when then occur.

Go over it with employees. Make sure everyone fully understands it and clear up any questions. Leave no doubt in their minds that the result is entirely up to them as to whether or not they receive a carrot or a stick. In short, their future is in their hands, not yours. You have already spelled out your possible future actions. They decide what your future action will be, not you.

Be 100% consistent in following policy.

Reactions: JohnDB
1 - 5 of 5 Posts