Chef Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This month the challenge is “Your Signature Dish”. What is the one dish that describes your culinary style. Your panache. Your skill. It can be as simple or as complicated as you want, as long as it is “you” on a plate.

It can be anything from a hot dog all the way to a Kobe A5 Wagyu Strip Steak or anything in between. As long as it is you, it is all good!

It can be animal, vegetable, mineral, whatever. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, don’t matter. Everything is eligible. Nothing is banned.

So put yourself on a plate. Make your mama proud. And enter something.

The rules:
The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
You may post multiple entries.
All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
The winner's bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month's challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
difficult to choose 1 dish
By all means, submit more than one. I know my style has changed and evolved over time. Damn, I didn't think about the possibility that people would limit themselves to one signature. Forgers have lots of signatures :unsure: Silly me was thinking by having a pretty much wide open challenge with no parameters that more people might participate.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
This could be a good one. I don't really know what my signature dish, or dishes, might be, but I do have some ideas. And unlike the October challenge when I was challenged with Covid-19, I am feeling pretty good now and should be able to whip up a couple of entries.

mjb.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
It's an interesting challenge in lots of ways. I must say that I find some of the notion of the "signature dish" in professionals to be affected, part of the whole celebrity-chef culture that's annoying. But there is such a thing: a dish that you invented, or that you made very much your own and nobody will let you take off the menu, that's a big part of what brought you to local prominence or whatever. For the home cook, I think it's harder: some people probably have that dish they always bring to church suppers or whatever, but otherwise? To take it seriously as a home cook, I have to kind of dig deep, think about what the question means to me -- which is not at all what it might mean to someone else. So I'm delighted by the challenge, even if I haven't a clue what I'll come up with.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I'm not thinking very deep about signature dish ;)
I figured it is what people (your friends) would like you to cook for them. Or what they ask for...
I've made a fish dish wrapped in banana leaves, and whenever I go somewhere for a braai, some people always ask/hope that I will bring that. So for them, thats my signature dish.
My banana has fallen over in the wind, so it's not going to feature in this challenge. Unfortunately

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I find some of the notion of the "signature dish" in professionals to be affected, part of the whole celebrity-chef culture that's annoying.
In all honesty, I have always been annoyed by the notion of a signature dish and yet that is always the first question people ask when they find out you are a chef. Inside I am screaming and gnashing my teeth saying "I will not be defined by one dish, by one cuisine, by one area of the globe, there is more to me than that" but that is just the two cents of my annoying ego :ROFLMAO:

I thought about titling the challenge "Enter something, anything, whatever you want!!! Totally open!!" but my fingers didn't listen when I typed...stupid fingers.

In a lot of ways, I feel that what a person enters...is them on a plate... because we put our signature on everything we do in life whether it be patting the dog, taking out the trash, driving to the grocery store, etc. :~)

So introspect and enter. Mainly enter. Thinking only gets me into trouble! So I try to not do much of that!

·
Registered
235 Posts
In all honesty, I have always been annoyed by the notion of a signature dish and yet that is always the first question people ask when they find out you are a chef. Inside I am screaming and gnashing my teeth saying "I will not be defined by one dish, by one cuisine, by one area of the globe, there is more to me than that" but that is just the two cents of my annoying ego :ROFLMAO:

I thought about titling the challenge "Enter something, anything, whatever you want!!! Totally open!!" but my fingers didn't listen when I typed...stupid fingers.

In a lot of ways, I feel that what a person enters...is them on a plate... because we put our signature on everything we do in life whether it be patting the dog, taking out the trash, driving to the grocery store, etc. :~)

So introspect and enter. Mainly enter. Thinking only gets me into trouble! So I try to not do much of that!
YES....
We ALL play requests most of the time.
BUT
We have a manner that we go about answering those requests that actually defines us...and of course that approach we use for fulfilling those requests (parameters) is each one of us in a purely individualistic manner.

Everyone makes some version of a shrimp scampi...but other than shrimp, butter and garlic how do you make the dish a complete meal? Pasta? Potatoes? Vegetables? Rice? I've witnessed many versions of that dish.

I don't see this as a challenge of a single item but a plate or plates in Succession of what defines us as our signature styles.

Mine is rather simplistic but elevated....first I make a Sourdough starter and that takes weeks to mature....then I make Sourdough English muffins (36 hrs to produce)....then I make fresh sausage using fresh sage, smokedhog jowl, and pork butts. Top it with a slice of smoked gouda and a scrambled egg crafted into a mini omlette and viola....a breakfast sandwich that McDonald's will never compete with.

Simple food...but each item elevated to a point that it creates addicts of my food and I like the way it all blends together.
That's me...that's what I do with most of my "creations ".

So....
What do you do?

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Horse Wheel Vehicle Working animal Motor vehicle

Head up, move 'em out. Yeehaw!!!
I'll start the wagon train to rollin' (but not an entry)

Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Tableware

This might look familiar, pretty similar to an entry I submitted during last month’s challenge… same thing only different; but at any rate, as I was making dinner for myself tonight, I realized this is probably my signature bachelor’s dinner. Not really a bachelor, but a lot of nights by the time I get home, my wife has already eaten, so left to my own devices I usually make something along these lines.

The starch is usually brown rice and two other starches, all cooked separately and mixed together, topped with a variety of vegetables sauteed, hit with a sauce and then tightly lidded and burner turned off to cook, steam, and thicken, and do it's thing for about 5 minutes or so. I change the veggies all the time depending on what grower friends gift me and what the local market has in season.

For main proteins, there are usually two. First protein is strips of omelet eggs on top. The other protein is usually tempeh mixed in with the veggies while sautéing.

Same basic dish, but the sauce is where I get to play. I never do the same sauce twice (well almost never) and so the final taste is always different. Also the veggies change, and sometimes add legumes/pulses (additional protein). Also sometimes the tempeh is chicken or fish or shellfish or…

It basically is me on a plate…healthy, balanced, frugal, simple yet complex, traveling vicariously through cooking, constantly changing and evolving... yet at the same time, the same thing... only different!!

For this particular version of my signature, I separately cooked brown rice, oatmeal (cooked with a green tea veggie stock), and chopped shirataki noodles. Mixed the three together and topped with a mix of corn, delicata squash, kale, cremini mushroom, and tempeh that were sauteed and tossed with a sauce made from pumpkin, hoisin, and green tea veggie stock along with a good hit of yuzu kosho hot sauce. Finished off dish by topping with strips of omelet eggs and a gremolata of toasted pepitas, kale, and lime zest.

"Wagons ho!
Gotta keep em on the run.
Time to go!
And follow the sun.
Roll along
Wagon Train."
*source: Wagon Train Lyrics - Theme Song Lyrics

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so for dinner… vodka martini (5:1) with blue-cheese stuffed olive.
Awesome signature dish and entry Brian. Kudos on a well crafted meal!

Green Olives stuffed with Blue Cheese swimming in a Winter Wheat and Aromatized Fortified Wine Sauce.

I well imagine the tangy briny taste of the olives interplays perfectly with the funky rich flavor profile of the blue cheese; with both being complimented by the slightly sweet but subtle citrus bark notes of the sauce that also contains hints of menthol and balsamic notes and the lingering fragrances of almond and stone fruit.

Job well done sir! Truly a signature dish worthy of praise.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Love vodka martinis. And I will not disclose my monthly expenditures at the olive bar at the local market.

But what this challenge brought to mind is a few of the things I make that I know people like. One of them is a pork stew with green chilies. Karen's father always loved it, I made it whenever they came to visit. When her dad, Winston Burris Darby passed away, there was a celebration of his life. I made a big pot of it for the occasion. Which never made it, due to some dimwit making improper turn causing me to slam on the brakes and spill the stew all over the car and amazingly not on my wife. Shucks. But I made some for this challenge.

The Players

Pork and chilies.

Food Ingredient Animal product Cuisine Recipe

I found some well marbled pork shoulder in the used meat bin, perfect for this application.

Food Plant Ingredient Green bell pepper Bell pepper

And I was thinking a mix of dried and fresh chilies, but went with only the fresh. Not shown are things like onion, garlic, spices and such.

The Procedure

First off prep the chilies. Put them under a broiler until well charred, then flip them and do the other side. Take them out and stash in a plastic bag to let them steam for a while. Sorry, no photos of this step.

Cut up the pork into chunks, brown it in the pot.

Food Ingredient Recipe Fluid Animal product

Once all the pork is browned, remove to a bowl. Dice an onion, add it to the hot pot.

Food Ingredient Recipe Plant Fluid

Get those browned bits of fond off the bottom of the pot. Toss in a few cloves of minced garlic, cook for about another minute. Add the pork back in, add a couple of tablespoons of caldo de tomate, some powdered cumin, a healthy amount of Mexican oregano, salt and some black pepper, then add water to almost cover. Let it simmer, then peel and dice the peppers. Add those into the pot. And this is where you add the roasted and diced tomatillos, if you had remembered to buy them.

Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Dish

Cover and simmer for a couple hours or more, until the pork is nice and tender.

Lookin' good!

Food Ingredient Recipe Fluid Tableware

The Product

It was a good batch, not the best due to my forgetting the tomatillos. But there is a lot left over, and I can fix that oversight with what's left. But add a couple of warm flour tortillas and you still have a tasty stew!

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Cuisine

And I often think of my father in law when I make this. Winston Burris Darby, what a very English sounding name!

mjb.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pork stew with green chilies.
Great looking dish teamfat. Got my mouth to watering and I haven't even had breakfast yet, which I usually don't eat until maybe 11:00 or so. Had to google caldo de tomate and that is exactly what I love about cooking and this ongoing monthly challenge...always something to learn and something new to try. Thanks! Excellent signature and I am sure that Winston Burris Darby is smiling and licking his lips in remembrance! Goodatcha!!

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
What are those peppers @teamfat ?
The name of chiles can vary by region. Where I’m at those green Chile are called “Pasilla” and the top dried is called “ancho” (dried pasilla) and the bottom dried is probably “guajillo” or maybe what’s called Chile California (mild) or Chile New Mexico (hotter). Can’t wait to hear what they are called in Teamfat’s village.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cherry in an American grain agrodolce sauce
What kind of cherry did you use, was it bourboned/brandied or...? At any rate I imagine it bounced off of that particular vermouth with it plum and fig notes, not to mention the bourbon, very well. Raising the bar so to speak for desserts :~)

1 - 20 of 113 Posts