Chef Forum banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I once read that certain peppers could not be dried and powdered because of their thin flesh
Just picking out a small remark: i find thin skinned peppers much easier to dry than thick skin.
I managed to dry scotch bonnets and habanero, but only by halving them.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Stock… a good start to many good things! Love the pot. I occasionally use my Grandmother’s speckle black enamel/porcelain roasting pan and it always makes a good dish taste better. I’m making stock today, also, and know I’ll have to explain, again, the difference between stock ingredients and kitchen scraps. 😂

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Okay, so far I've done a family favorite, the pork chili. And a favorite of Dave's Tulip Party, the seafood quiche. Now here's another popular dish often taken to another party, chicken habanero stew. Every year my friend Pugs, with whom I brewed beer for like 20 some years, would host a Chili Party the Saturday before the Super Bowl. And on Sunday a few of us stalwarts would stagger to his house to watch the game and eat leftovers. Too bad we have all gotten old and no longer engage in such activities. Sigh.

The Players

Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Animal product

To make a chicken stew, one needs chicken. In this case some bone in, skin on chicken breasts. And of course, if it is chicken habanero stew, one needs habaneros, along with onion, garlic, and some mushrooms.

Food Ingredient Tableware Natural foods Cuisine

The Procedure

First, break down the chicken. The skin is removed and reserved, the meat cut from the carcass.

Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Kitchen utensil

The bones go into the stock, of which you have already seen a picture. The stock goes for a couple of days on a bare simmer on the back burner, with various chicken parts from the freezer, onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves, peppercorns and such.

When it comes tome to make the stew, the chicken meat gets diced up, the mushrooms quartered, the onion, garlic and habanero get diced. The shrooms get thrown into a pot with lots of butter to brown a bit.

Food Ingredient Recipe Staple food Cuisine

They get yanked from the pot, the other veggies go in.

Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Animal product

They get tossed in with the reserved mushrooms, next is the chicken.

Food Ingredient Recipe Fluid Cuisine

Once all the batches of chicken is slightly browned, everybody goes into the pool.

Food Plant Ingredient Recipe Cuisine

Along with more salt, black pepper, Mexican oregano, a little fresh thyme, ground cumin, with chicken stock to almost cover. Cover and simmer gently for about an hour, until the chicken is ready to fall apart.

When getting close to serving time, crisp up some of the chicken skin.

Food Frying pan Recipe Ingredient Bird

A bacon press helps keep it flat.

The Product

Okay, time to dish up the stew. A nice bowl full of it, topped with some sour cream, crispy chicken cracklin's and a garnish of scallions. Thought I had some cilantro in the fridge. Well, I did but it was way older than I thought, so into the bin it went.

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Staple food

Warmed up a flour tortilla, sat down to a tasty meal. Life is good.

mjb.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Now here's another popular dish often taken to another party, chicken habanero stew...Life is good.
Yes life is and so is that dish! Another wonderful entry. Love the use of cracklin's as a garnish (flavor, texture, and good utilization of product) and the tip about the bacon press. Habaneros have such a great floral quality to them, not to mention heat out the wazoo. They play well with the cumin and fresh thyme. You're making my mouth water!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Hello everyone. Today I made this video of one of my favorite “comfort” foods. I would guess that if it’s a comfort food for me that would qualify as a signature-ish dish for me. ... Here it is. I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I love your onion soup ala Iceman!!! From the chunks of onion to the use of a dark beer . . . which I will definitely try next time! I also liked your dagger-shaped spatula! I have to get one now!

Well done! I enjoyed the show, except it's made me hungry.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
a comfort food for me that would qualify as a signature-is dish for me.
Outstanding work Iceman, but then I expected no less!! I was nodding my head in agreement while watching the video saying yes yes makes sense, because I use your secret ingredient (coffee) and your hack (dark beer) when I make mushroom soup, same thing only different. If I ever make onion soup again, I will probably follow your lead with the coffee and dark beer.

I love French Onion Soup, but an early career job had me hand slicing in a French cut 5 gallons of onions everyday for French Onion Soup, kind of put a damper on my enthusiasm for making the soup LOL!!! Your onion cut would definitely help in that aspect, although it never would have flown in the old school European kitchen..but then...I ain't in that kitchen any more!

Thanks for sharing the soup with us. Kudos!!

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
teamfat ... I forget exactly where I got the idea about cutting the onions that way. It’s not original to me. It is a lot easier.

loomchick ... I would have also thrown in a coupla shots of bourbon, but I didn’t have any handy. How that happened I just don’t know. The knife-shaped spatula is silicone I believe. I think it just showed up in a box of stuff I had put away somewhere. It’s a great kitchen tool. It’ll take a lot of abuse. Good luck finding one.

cheflayne ... Like I said in the vid ... all the extra items were for the ever-famous “umami” effect. I do need to work on portions and/or amounts though. Half the pile of herbs would have been just fine. You can only take so much umami. Looking at the slots on the toaster before slicing the bread is a good idea too.

Thanks for the compliments.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I pretty much knew you knew. ... I was trying to make fun of the amount of herbs and the slices of bread.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
I love French Onion Soup, but an early career job had me hand slicing in a French cut 5 gallons of onions everyday for French Onion Soup, kind of put a damper on my enthusiasm for making the soup LOL!!!
Reminds me of my stint in my second culinary job. I was the chef dishwasher, sous chef, all around grunt in the Sears employee cafeteria in downtown Salt Lake. Here's what the building looks like as of a couple weeks ago.

Sky Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

Sad to see the old girl gone.

Anyway, one of my daily tasks, as in every single day I worked there, was to mash 50 pounds of potatoes. Every. Single. Day. Up until summer of 1974, when Emma would not give me a vacation, so I quit. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in my office I still have my termination slip with the reason for leaving listed as "To climb mountian"

But oddly enough, I still like mashed potatoes, though in the mid 70s I tended to avoid them.

I was thinking of submitting one more dish, but I doubt I will get to it. Another favorite at Pug's Chili Party was a lamb and black bean dish. I remember one year I took three chilies with me - the chicken habanero, the lamb and black bean, and the one that got photographed the most. And of course, I don't have any pictures of it. It was a can of the cheapest store bought stuff I could find, still in the can, sitting on a coffee cup warmer with a plastic spoon as a serving utensil. Definitely a crowd pleaser, though I don't think anyone actually ate it!

mjb.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Turkey Pot Pie

It’s time to wrap up the annual Thanksgiving celebration… eat the leftovers or throw them out. I can’t throw them out; that isn’t in my DNA!

My way to use leftover Turkey, root vegetables and gravy is to make a pot pie. But I’m still tired and a bit lazy so rather than individual pies I did it family style and rather than a crust pie with pate brisee or puff pastry, I made it with a biscuit “crust”.

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Kitchen appliance

Food Ingredient Tableware Recipe Staple food

The biscuits are really the hero. These are not the Southern [United States] biscuit that my wife grew up with, but a completely New England version that my Grandmother taught me to make using
Food Tin Ingredient Aluminum can Tin can

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Lemon Posset

And the final entry from me... a very old dessert that is both simple and delicious. Who doesn't like citrus-curdled sweetened cream?

The Meyer lemon tree is bearing an abundance of fruit this year...
Flower Plant Rangpur Leaf Citrus

... and there was some cream in the refrigerator that had no specified purpose, so together they make a fine tart-sweet delight. Ingredients include: heavy cream, sugar (not depicted), and lemons. Nothing more!
Food Rangpur Valencia orange Clementine Lime

The cream and sugar are brought to a boil and cooked for a few minutes. Then lemon juice and zest are stirred into hot sweetened cream. The mixture starts to thicken and finishes thickening with some time in the refrigerator.
Food Liquid Tableware Ingredient Dishware

Behold, LEMON POSSET.
Food Tableware Ingredient Dishware Cuisine

81 - 100 of 103 Posts