Chef Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,821 Posts
This will require a bit of thought.
Squash is going to be the most tricky one.
Anyway, I'll be at the shops tomorrow, so hopefully I can find something squashy

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Right: I found a pumpkin :)
So now I got about 3 kg or so that I need to freeze or do something with as sound as I cut it open. Can I freeze it raw? Or better to blanch?
As for beans: Chris, you mentioned lentils in your sum up. But do green beans count? And peas (like chickpeas, after all, chana dal (split chickpeas) is often mentioned in the same breath as lentils ;)

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Interesting @cheflayne , never heard of fonio either.
In Southern, Central and East Africa the staple is cornflour, mieliepap, sadza, nshima, posho, umgali are all different names for more or less the same thing.
Now if I would like it, I would have the corn part of this challenge sorted, but I don't.
Got the beans, got my pumpkin, need some inspiration :)

· Registered
2,821 Posts
OK, we got something going
Jasmine rice, 2 rice to 3 water by volume, brought to boil, stirred and wrapped in duvet in coolbox
Just keeping everyone guessing :)

I wanted something sort of SE Asian style in contrast to indigenous American.
I like playing with different styles.

I used mungbeans that I sprouted, frozen sweetcorn & pumpkin
Also
Bacon, red onion, garlic, ginger, chili, chili bean paste, makrut leaves, fish sauce, a little white vinegar & the leek of red onion

Here's my pumpkin. I gave 2/5 away, cut up a lot and put in the freezer. Hope mr google was correct when he told me you can freeze uncooked. Rest got used here, sliced thinly
Food Winter squash Ingredient Staple food Cucurbita

Food Ingredient Fruit Tableware Recipe

Corn & sprouted beans are joined by bacon and chili bean paste
Food Food storage Ingredient Recipe Food storage containers

Red onion (home grown) cut Asian style, garlic, ginger, bacon and chili (home grown again)
Food Onion Ingredient Cuisine Vegetable

And chopped up. Green stuff, lower right is makrut leaves (home grown)

Food Ingredient Wood Recipe Petal

Prep time over, cooking is fast
Heat oil, fry bacon, then onions. Followed by chili, ginger, garlic, makrut leaves & bean sauce
Now quickly fry pumpkin, needs to keep a little bite and structure. Almost straight away followed by half frozen sweet corn
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Dish

I had a taste and it needed a little more savoury and acidic, so added a bit of white vinegar and fish sauce, and the sprouts

Only a minute, maybe 2, cooking time left.
Then gas off, add onion leek and serve
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Rice

I was scared it was going to be too sweet for my tastebuds, but it was actually quite moreish

Attachments

· Registered
2,821 Posts
I definitely don't belong in the hardcore pro group!
I'm a one pot dish sort of person, or maybe 2.
I got another one coming pretty soon, with the help of mr Google ;)
Stay tuned

· Registered
2,821 Posts
OK, I based my meal on this recipe Spiced corn, lentil & butternut squash chowder - BBC Good Food
At least i'm on the right continent now ;)

Not nornally a big fan of Ainsley Harriot, but this sounded like it could be good.
And it was (of course I made some adjustments, but it would have been okay as written on the site)
Food Ingredient Recipe Tableware Cuisine

Red lentils, pumpkin & frozen sweetcorn, onion, garlic, creamed coconut, thyme & mdm Jeanet. I used half of the amount of lentils, pumpkin and sweetcorn. Full amount of garlic, onion and chili

Fried onions in olive oil,, then added garlic. Then water, mdm Jeanet, lentils and pumpkin and water
Boiled for about 25 minutes. Needed to top up water.
Then added sweetcorn, creamed coconut & thyme. Boiled slowly for the coconut to dissolve.
Tasted: added salt, smoked bird's eye chili & tamarind (they're in season).

Finished with onion leek (and salt and pepper, somewhere along the line)
Food Ingredient Recipe Fluid Cookware and bakeware

· Registered
2,821 Posts
The original recipe might be spicy, but I had no fresh scotch bonnet or madam Jeanet. My smoked one wasn't potent enough, so I spiced it up.
I ate it with some freshly baked flat bread. Original idea was rice, but I had a sudden craving for bread
I'll be making this again. Most likely with added bacon

· Registered
2,821 Posts
I was told that the chili was called after a hot lady in Parimaribo ;)
I've since heard a similar story, but now she comes from Haiti
It's a hot but very tasty chili. I know it as madam Jeanette, or Surinam yellow

· Registered
2,821 Posts
It is, but it is different as well. The smell is just amazing. I don't know how to describe it. Floral, fruity?

One way of using it without too much heat is to put it whole in the pot of rice and leave it in while cooking/steaming the rice.
The hot food eaters can then eat Madam, the others still have a great smelling rice.

I would typically use 1 madam in a dish for 4 to 6...

· Registered
2,821 Posts
When did she put the culantro? During cooking or after?

I know culantro as sawtooth herb, or pak chi farang. I got 1 little plant in the garden, hoping it goes to seed so I can grow more. Advantage over coriander is that it doesn't bolt in the heat

· Registered
2,821 Posts
I had to start googling as my brain said something about huitlacoche and fungal diseases.
Seems I was not too far off :)

I hope I have enough time to make and post a final dish.
Chana dal has been soaked and I'll start cooking after I finish my coffee

Good to see you again @koukouvagia !

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Last one for me.
I call it "Butzy's messed up.mezze starter platter" :)

Chana dal got soaked and boiled and made into hummus (chana dal & boiling liquid, tahini, garlic, chili powder, paprika powder, cumin, olive oil & lime juice)
Food Plant Ingredient Bean Corn

Ingredient Liquid Drinkware Food Drink

Food Mixture Recipe Ingredient Yellow
Food Mixture Recipe Ingredient Yellow

Next was a tzatziki inspired dip. Yoghurt, cumin, cucumber, garlic, salt, white pepper & fresh coriander

Then pumpkin- sweet corn fritters
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Staple food

Sweetcorn, pumpkin, onion, garlic, chili
Food Tableware Recipe Ingredient Vegetable

Fresh coriander, salt, egg, lime juice and flour

Food Frying pan Ingredient Recipe Cooking

And the whole platter together
Very tasty and very nice with our high temperatures
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Plate

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Just a little remark:
The first dish I made is actually quite close to an existing dish. Main difference is I sprouted the mung beans.
Just thought it funny.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts