Chef Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5,090 Posts
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Dish

cornbread made using mashed pumpkin seasoned with freshly ground Ceylon cinnamon and allspice, Greek Yogurt, eggs, acorn flour, and cornmeal

arugula tossed with a maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and olive oil vinaigrette, then sprinkled with sauteed corn, toasted pumpkinseeds, and white beans

chicken breast grilled and basted with a maple syrup, smoked paprika, cracked black pepper, and rosemary glaze

sauce made from corn seasoned with garam masala and freshly grated turmeric, then sauteed before blending into a puree using with two stocks, a reduced corn cob stock and a chicken stock

· Registered
5,090 Posts
If I were to use one word to describe it it would be "harmonious". All the ingredients played well with each other and melded to tie the dish together. It turned out exactly the way I anticipated, when I was composing the dish and creating the recipes in my head. I have to admit, it made me feel good that my memory palate was pretty much spot on, which helped me to align and integrate flavor profiles.

Acorns have a nutty and maple aspect to their flavor profile, that is until the tannins come roaring through like a runaway freight train and obliterate everything in their path, which explains the prolonged leeching phase with multiple changes of water that is part of the process of turning them into flour. The finished flour has a earthy, chestnut quality and flavor profile.

The sauce was absolutely yellow due to yellow corn and freshly grated turmeric, so it must be the photo. No herb nor pumpkinseed oil were used; just corn, garam masala, turmeric, corn cob stock, chicken stock, and butter was used for the saute.

· Registered
5,090 Posts
Food Tableware Ingredient Corn kernels White rice

I separately cooked brown rice, fonio, and ito-konnyaku. Mixed the three together and topped it with sauteed corn, butternut squash, kousa squash, white beans, sweet potato, Brussles sprouts, crimini mushrooms, and arugula that were tossed in a smoky harissa sauce. Finished off with strips of omelet eggs and fresh arugula.

· Registered
5,090 Posts
Fonio is possibly the worlds oldest cultivated grain and least known. It comes from West Africa and is a millet with small grains. Flavor wise it has a nutty taste. Texturally it is kind of a cross between couscous and quinoa. It is a nutritional powerhouse with many health benefits.

As to the finished dish, I would gladly make it and eat it again. The harissa sauce had just the right amount of spice, sweet, and smoke, but yet didn't overwhelm the ingredients. It came across almost like a tagine (there were dates in the sauce) because I sauteed all ingredients before adding the sauce, tossing and putting a lid on, turning off the heat, and let it sit for five or so minutes on the still hot cast iron burner. The lid sealed so well it took a bit of banging with a wooden pestle to dislodge it. o_O :oops: :rolleyes:

· Registered
5,090 Posts
Lima beans are probably the least bean tasting bean that I can think of. I find them to be somewhat sweet and nutty (unless overcooked, then somewhat bitter like overcooked Brussels) and so used them to take the place of nuts as the thickener. The pesto tasted like...pesto. Other than the Limas, it was pretty standard pesto except I didn't want a way big basil flavor (so used basil & arugula in equal amounts) because I thought it would overpower the butternut squash.

My wife hates Lima beans, due to a traumatic childhood dinner time practice like her mother cooked them and so insisted they be eaten and because dad was a longshoreman she cooked huge portions that had to be finished. I didn't tell my wife it was a Lima bean pesto, just said pesto. My wife loves all my cooking, but she said this dinner was one of the best I have made in a long time. Who am I to argue?
Primate Nature Organism Gesture Natural landscape

· Registered
5,090 Posts
Bombing dish butzy. Bread sounds like a great call, wouldn't have thought of it; but yeah you nailed it. Haven't worked with madam Jeanette but looks and reads like scotch bonnet which I am very familiar with. Does it have floral taste aspect to it?

· Registered
5,090 Posts
One way of using it without too much heat is to put it whole in the pot of rice and leave it in while cooking/steaming the rice.
I had a Trini cook show me that when making what she called shadow benny rice, it is slang for chadon beni, also known as culantro (not to be confused with cilantro).

· Registered
5,090 Posts
Way cool dish teamfat!!! I have yet to work with huitlacoche, but it has been on my radar screen and to do list for a while now. This will probably be just the push I need to get some and play! Thanks!!

· Registered
5,090 Posts
Nobody has made a dessert this month, so I decided to do one. The base idea was Moldovan Chickpea Pudding. I stuck pretty close to it except I sweetened it with maple syrup instead of honey and I expanded the concept into a trifle. So I give you…

A trifle of Moldovan Chickpea Pudding, Pumpkin Pudding, and a candied trio of Corn, Butternut Squash, and Pumpkinseeds

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Cuisine

For the original pudding, I blended cooked chickpeas with yogurt, maple syrup, and cinnamon.
I used the same idea for the pumpkin pudding. I blended cooked pumpkin with yogurt, ginger syrup, and cardamom.
The trio was candied using maple syrup.

· Registered
5,090 Posts
Yeah pretty crazy but actually good (not cloyingly sweet) and old school and fairly healthy and fast and stupidly simple, not only that but easily converted to vegan by using a vegan yogurt. Has really gotten my wheels to spinning thinking of other variations/uses like mousse, semifreddo (also unfrozen), ice cream?, etc. definitely going to do some more playing around with the idea.

· Registered
5,090 Posts
Thanks much for the kind words Chris and Butzy. I had fun with the challenge, it made me think. Butzy, I always love your dishes and culinary style. Who knows, maybe someday kismet will have us sharing a kitchen to prepare a meal and enjoy kitchen play time together. I have the feeling that would be a blast, especially if kismet was in overdrive and it happened in Lower Zambezi National Park. That is on my bucket-encyclopedia. I don't call it bucket-list because a list is too short. :~)

I will post a new challenge later on. Thanks once again, it was fun and I encourage anyone and everyone to join in on the monthly challenges because of the learning experiences that the challenges provide and we all know that knowledge is power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts