Chef Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Some impressive stuff all around. We didn't have many entrants, but you guys made up for that by putting in scads of entries -- @butzy made 3, and @cheflayne made 4.

@teamfat made the most traditional dish, I think, one of thousands of variations on something people must have made in the Americas for a thousand years. Lovely stuff!

@butzy -- despite what seemed like a lot of difficulty getting ingredients I take for granted -- pulled off mezze, chowder, and an interesting pumpkin rice dish. The dishes seemed to me resourceful and thrifty, as well as being creative approaches to bringing together varied ingredients.

@cheflayne didn't tell a lot of stories, but the food spoke for itself. A full meal, in the end! Butternut squash ravioli, a dish of brown rice and fonio, an extraordinary chicken dish with corn sauce, and even a trifle for dessert.

It wasn't an easy choice, but somehow I found myself inspired by the meticulous professional craftsmanship of @cheflayne inspiring. These were dishes made up for the challenge, but each one looked like something you'd see in a fine-dining kind of restaurant, with intricate and beautiful balances of colors, shapes, and (in my head, at least!) flavors.

@cheflayne wins!

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Thanks much for the kind words Chris and Butzy. I had fun with the challenge, it made me think. Butzy, I always love your dishes and culinary style. Who knows, maybe someday kismet will have us sharing a kitchen to prepare a meal and enjoy kitchen play time together. I have the feeling that would be a blast, especially if kismet was in overdrive and it happened in Lower Zambezi National Park. That is on my bucket-encyclopedia. I don't call it bucket-list because a list is too short. :~)

I will post a new challenge later on. Thanks once again, it was fun and I encourage anyone and everyone to join in on the monthly challenges because of the learning experiences that the challenges provide and we all know that knowledge is power.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Just a little remark:
The first dish I made is actually quite close to an existing dish. Main difference is I sprouted the mung beans.
Just thought it funny.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts