Chef Forum banner

OMG!!! What did i make?

1K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  maryb 
#1 ·
 Can anyone please tell me what in Gods name did I make? It started with left over turkey,then 2 cans of green beans,then an onion,garlic and can of crushed tomatoes. Stayed in the crock pot on low all night and let it cooled ,and then the weird science began. After it was cooled,it was fizzing and bubbling and scaring me because my husband ate it before the wacky witches brew started....lol i got to be honest,did it ferment or have botulism in it,did this happen to anyone before? I never seen anything like it,it was bubbling and sizzling

#4 ·
well,it has been only a day....lol  I am so curious to what this was. I researched and only a couple of things popped up. Bacteria and gases was the big thing . Then scary botulism did as well. There was a coating of honey that i baked the turkey in...... then used it  in soup,who knows but he looks like he's still breathing.....lol :)

#6 ·
Botulism is scary but it is not likely given what you described. Very few cases of botulism exist every year, mostly due to improperly home canned products. Botulism needs a low to no oxygen environment and several other factors to be a concern. I wouldn't worry too much about this particular bacteria. 

Letting things sit too long in the "danger zone" (call it 40F-140F) can provide an ideal environment for bacteria and other things to grow and begin producing gases (usually CO2) and nasty toxins. Even if the amount of food ingested was relatively small, it can be enough to seed a colony of bacteria that can make someone quite ill as the bacteria grows and produces the toxins. 

These symptoms will typically start presenting about 12-24 hours after ingestion (to give bacteria time to "build up" in the system) but can still present up to 36 and 48 hours later. Keep an eye on your husband....he may not even get sick. A hospital trip may or may not be required, but a mild to moderate food poisoning probably not. He'll have trouble keeping food and liquid down so dehydration might be an issue. If there is any doubt (assuming he gets sick) then take him to the hospital. They can give him IV and monitor him for toxins, etc. 

Anyways, don't work yourself up into too much of a frenzy. Just keep an eye on him and take him to the ER if he needs it. 

#7 ·
Thank you someday, I do know the crock pot has no oxygen with that lid on it,and i think my crock pot days are over..... I am really a great cook,Im Italian so my dishes are lasagna and i make great meatballs,I just think I slacked on this one.....crock pot cooking isnt my thing... And i want you to know,THANK YOU,I mean that. Your kind words put my mind at ease. Sometimes just hearing someone say,dont worry,its not a concern ,really helps :) My kitchen counters and floor are cloroxy clean now.....lol

#8 · (Edited)
First, a lidded crock isnt airless, thats a lot of air still
under the lid, Anerobic bacteria find oxygen counterproductive
to having big families. Canned environments for example, are
perfect, cozy breeding grounds.

Did you ever ask your husband what it tasted like?
Any off flavors? Bitteness? Any alcoholic taste at all?

My money is on spontaneous fermentation by wild yeast in the
air, and given your description of ingredients, especially things
like honey and the low, sustained temperature, sounds like a
perfect growth medium. Your description of the active bubbling,
and the subsequent progression also supports this theory.
Now, if your enemies suddenly start disappearing after making
this brew, I might have to revise the theory. But for now, my instincts
tell me he's probably not gonna get ill... gas maybe. But do keep
us posted!

#9 · (Edited)
Is sure love to know what was going on... this is a very interesting mystery.

I'm an infrequent crockpot user. For some things, like Boston baked beans, long-cooking spaghetti sauce, stews or chile they are quite a convenience... and the resulting product is just as good as when cooked in more traditional ways. Every time I use one I wonder why I don't use one more often.

#10 · (Edited)
Is sure love to know what was going on... this is a very interesting mystery.

I'm an infrequent crockpot user. For some things, like Boston baked beans, long-cooking spaghetti sauce, stews or chile they are quite a convenience... and the resulting product is just as good as when cooked in more traditional ways. Every time I use one I wonder why I don't use one more often.
You can fit the entire country in a crockpot? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

#12 · (Edited)
Agreed, you can make something classic from every country in a crockpot.

@OP question:Also be sure you WERE on low cook setting and NOT the WARM setting.

Big difference in temperature there, as warm will keep the contents at 135°F or even less,

depending on whats in there. Which is nice and cozy for squigglies.

Crocks also vary, my low cook setting will simmer a load of sauce, but it takes a long time, so

its right on the threshold.

If in fact you were on the warm setting, (an easy mistake) then the food basically spoiled

while it was supposed to be cooking.....and that CAN be dangerous, depending on the protein. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/surprised.gif

However in this case the it was leftover, indicating the turkey was previously cooked.

#13 ·
Thank you everyone, It was on low,so I dont really know how warm it got,I also remember i added a can of peaches in the turkey that i then cooked. So we got a lot of different things. It really was one of the most weirdest things i ever saw. Did anyone ever open a watermelon and it went bad and started hissing and bubbling,well thats what my soup acted like,and when  i stuck a spoon in there and stirred ,it got even louder........lol I guess my concern at this point is,if it was bacteria,do I have to sanitize the whole kitchen,NEVER GOOGLE ABOUT SPORES.....LOL OR YOU WILL TEAR DOWN THE EXISTING KITCHEN AND BY NEW...LOL  Well,who knows,but it was so odd and 20 hours in a crock pot is bad,on low..... very very bad...lol Meezenplaz,you are smart. Say it did spoil and what is the worst bacteria i need to be concerned with? and does the spores live everywhere like the internet said?

#19 · (Edited)
Well sure you could move, but the lil buggers might FOLLOW you....like those ghosts you

hear about...or the Shark in Jaws 3. lol But the fact is we all live in a world filled with life

we can't see. We can sanitize our living spaces, but we still have to LIVE there. And

like Malcom said in Jurrassic Park, "life finds a way'.

However, because this is apparently the first time something of this nature has happened to you,

it may simply be an isolated incident. May not even have to do with temperature, but like Mary

mentioned, couldn't hurt to temp test your crock pot at various settings. I do that with my toaster

oven now and then, cuz I dont trust it. :)

I doubt this is a spore problem, and Im still leaning away from bacteria, although its possible.

But if so, Id wager its Aerobic, and came from some ingredient. If you gave us your complete

ingredient list, (including any secret ingreds, sorry! :) ) we might be better able to narrow it down.

All that said, I'm still crouching in the Fermentation camp. With the Honey, and now it turns out,

peaches too, I think the little Yeasties thought you were trying to make mead, and they're there

to help you! :) The "hisssssssing" sounds like Co2 release... Co2 is water soluble and releases

when agitated. Like Sodie Pop!

You didn't happen to get a WHIFF of that hissing release did you? The odor could be a big clue.

Being as these were canned peaches, was there any hiss when it was opened?

As a rule I always try to taste canned fruit when first opened--for some reason

canned pineapple seems to be often fizzy, maybe 1 can outa 7 or 8.

I'm also still curious what it tasted like--any discernable off flavors.....

#20 ·
You are the best Meezenplaz....:) I did smell it,and it was stinky turkey...lol  I gave all the ingredients, spices like poultry rub,I do remember a thick layer on top and when disturbed it bubbled and hissed at me. I also threw in cooked fresh carrots? hmmmmm but when i threw them in ,it was like they attacked them,bubbling and hissing and i thought what the ---------!!!!!  and turned it off...... but I think they are all listed. I am surprised no one else had this happen,hmmmmmm   I do consider myself a good cook rather then a scientist......lol and It is the first time......  Hopefully the last...lol    Life does happen and it's funny now,now that no one is puking their guts up,or anything else....lol     I joke now and say,I'll bring the soup to all the parties....;)  my special soupy.....lol

#21 ·
Sounds like you had an alcohol fermentation going on with all the sugars. Ordinary household dust is loaded with wild yeasts so it is easy for it to happen.

And don't "think" your heating element is good! Toss some water in and turn the crockpot on low. Give it 3-4 hours to stabilize then take the temperature!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.