Chef Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sure, it's possible. Anything is possible. Will it work? Who can say? It is a huge risk, as it is for anyone in this business. The smart, the talented, the fair wage paying - none of these escape the risk of the restaurant business. All the knowledge and talent in the world doesn't guarantee success - especially in a seasonal market.

Having said that, here are my answers to your questions...

1) I don't think you age is a factor

2) Learn something about the front of the house - and, believe me, I feel your pain there; it's not my cup of tea either. Delegate with knowledge, though.

3)No, it isn't simple. If it was simple, everyone could do it, right? Running numbers looks good a lot of times when you are projecting. Living it day to day is different, believe me. I'm not saying you don't know what you are doing. I'm sure you are quite informed. Just try dividing all your figures in half, though, just to come up with a worst case scenario - and then decide what you would do if that was your reality. It is certainly a possibility, no matter how good you are.

The other thing I wanted to comment on that you mentioned was how you had friends willing to help you out. Whatever it is they say they will do for you, you better get it written in stone before you start. Otherwise, don't count on it. I know they are probably really good friends, and you think, "yeah, but this is so-and-so, and he/she would never let me down." As friends, they probably won't let you down. As business associates, they might. What will you do then?

Okay, one other thing. If you ran a non food related business before, why in the world would you want to start from scratch in the food business? Food cost alone could easily sink you. What business were you in before?

RF

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.